Ahmad A. Saied, PhD
Department of Veterinary Sciences
University of Kentucky Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
College of Agriculture, Food & Environment
Lexington, KY 40511, USA
May 2015, PhD
Department of Pathobiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University. PhD in Veterinary Medical Sciences, Molecular Pathobiology. Mentor; Dr. Gus Kousoulas.
Dissertation title: The Role of Herpes Simplex Virus Type -1 Glycoprotein K in Neuroinvasion and Immunopathogenesis of Keratitis. 2011, Dipl ACVP
Board certified in anatomic pathology; Diplomat ACVP (American college of veterinary pathologists). Anatomic pathology training at the Department of Pathobiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University. 2002, Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Jordan.
Nov 2016- Present Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Sciences, UKVDL, College of Agriculture, Food & Environment, University of Kentucky.
Dec 2016- Present Adjunct Faculty, College of Veterinary Medicine, Lincoln Memorial University, Harrogate, TN.
June 2015-Nov 2016 Post-Doctoral Researcher; National Hansen's Disease (Leprosy) Research Program, Health Resources, and Services Administration (HRSA) and Pathobiological Sciences Department, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University.
2005-2007 National Poultry Company, Amman, Jordan.
2003-2005 Health Control Directorate, Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority. Food Safety Specialist.
Affiliations, Training, Honors & Awards
1- Veterinary Forensic Osteology Workshop, American College of Veterinary Pathologists. Washington DC, November 2018.
2- Digital Pathology Workshop, American college of veterinary pathologists, Washington DC, November 2018.
3- Grant writing workshop, University of Kentucky and University of Tennessee. March 16-17 Knoxville, TN, 2017.
4- Scientific Judge for Louisiana State Science and Engineering Research Fair, 2016.
5- “Hansen’s Disease in the United States-Diagnosis & Treatment” training course, US Department
of Health & Human Services, National Hansen’s Disease Programs, November 2015.
6- Member; American Society for Microbiology, since 2015.
7- 1st place, research competition, Post-doctoral category, Phi zeta research emphasis day, September 2015.
8- Diversity Matters (training seminar), Diversity and cultural competency, September 2015, Louisiana State University (LSU).
9- Tiger Leadership Experience (training workshop), April 2015, LSU.
10- Graduate Assistant Travel Award, LSU, October 2014.
11- 2nd place PhD research competition, Phi zeta research emphasis day, September 2014.
12- Scholarship Accommodation and Travel Award, International Herpes Workshop 2013.
13- Session Chair and Moderator, South Eastern IDeA meeting, November 2013.
14- American college of veterinary pathologists (Dipl ACVP), 2011
15- LSU SVM Graduate Assistantship (2010-2014)
16- Phi zeta veterinary honor society; elected in March 2010.
1. Ahmad A. Saied & Michael J. Cruz Penn. Pyogranulomatous Otitis Media, Osteomyelitis & Meningoencephalitis in a Goat caused by Rhodococcus equi. In preparation.
2. Ahmad A. Saied, Laura K. Bryan & David C. Bolin. Ulcerative & Granulomatous Glossitis, Pharyngitis & Enteritis in a Heifer Caused by Rhodococcus equi. In Press. JVDI.
3. Jambunathan N, Subramanian R, Charles A, Saied A, Naderi M, Brylinski M, Chouljenko V, and Kousoulas K. Deletion of a Predicted β-sheet Domain within the Amino-terminus of Herpes Simplex Virus Glycoprotein K (gK) Conserved among Alphaherpesviruses Prevents Virus Entry into Neuronal Axons. J. Virol. JVI.02468-15; March 2016.
4. Brent A. Stanfield, Jacque Stahl, Vladimir N. Chouljenko, Ramesh Subramanian, Anu-Ann Charles, Ahmad A Saied, Jason D. Walker, Konstantin G. Kousoulas. A Single Intramuscular Vaccination of Mice with the HSV-1 VC2 virus with Mutations in the Glycoprotein K and the Membrane Protein UL20 Confers Sterile Protection against Lethal Intravaginal Challenge with Virulent HSV-1 and HSV2 Strains. PLOS ONE; October 28th, 2014, Volume 9, Issue 10, e109890.
5. Kim I.*, Saied A*, Vladimir N. Chouljenko, Ramesh Subramanian, Konstantin G. Functional Hierarchy of Herpes Simplex Virus Type-1 (HSV-1) Membrane Proteins in Corneal Infection and Virus Transmission to Ganglionic Neurons. Current Eye Research, Early Online, 1–9, 2014, Informa Healthcare USA, Inc. ISSN: 0271-3683 print / 1460-2202 online. DOI: 10.3109/02713683.2014.906626. *Both authors contributed equally to this manuscript.
6. Saied A., Chouljenko VN, Subramanian R, Kousoulas KG. A replication competent HSV-1 (McKrae) with a mutation in the amino terminus of glycoprotein K (gK) is unable to infect mouse trigeminal ganglia after cornea infection. Current Eye Research, Early Online, 1–8, 2014. Informa Healthcare USA, Inc. ISSN: 0271-3683 print / 1460-2202 online DOI:10.3109/02713683.2013.855238.
7. David AT, Saied A, Charles A, Subramanian R, Chouljenko VN, Kousoulas KG. A herpes simplex virus 1 (McKrae) mutant lacking the glycoprotein K gene is unable to infect via neuronal axons and egress from neuronal cell bodies. MBio. 2012; 3(4):e00144-12.
8. Saied A, Beaufrere H, Tully TN, Jr., Wakamatsu N. Bilateral seminoma with hepatic metastasis in a cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus). J Avian Med Surg. 2011 Jun; 25 (2):126-31.
9. Staempfli SA, Saied A, Wakamatsu N, Serra V, Eades SC. Therapy-resistant septic enteritis due to a jejunal malformation in a 5-day-old Thoroughbred colt. Can Vet J. 2011 Feb; 52(2):142-6.