Bodhisattwa Chaudhuri, PhD
Department of Pharmaceutical Science and Institute of Materials Science (IMS)
Graduate Faculty, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
University of Connecticut, Mansfield, Connecticut, USA
Bodhi Chaudhuri is an Associate Professor of Pharmaceutics, Chemical Engineering, and Material Sciences at UConn. He got his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from NJIT after obtaining his MS and BS both in Chemical Engineering from IISc, Bangalore and Jadavpur University, respectively. He performed postdoctoral research in Pharmaceutical Engineering at Rutgers University and has 3 years of industrial experience. He has published more than 60 peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, conference proceedings and delivered more than 30 invited talks in academia, industry, and conferences. He acts as an editorial board member for Advanced Powder Technology, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and several other international journals in the areas of fluid mechanics, drug design, pharmaceutical sciences, and chemical engineering. His research has been funded by NIH, NSF, FDA, American Cancer Society, PhRMA, Pfizer, Genentec, BI, and several other pharmaceutical companies. He regularly consults pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and engineering companies and acted as Technical Advisor to them. He received Young Investigator Award from US-FDA and several other prestigious awards.
Multi-scale Modeling, Particle Technology, Discrete Element Method, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Additive Manufacturing, Complex Fluids, Molecular Modeling, Pharmaceutical Technology.
Manuscripts and Book Chapters
1) S. Sarkar, R. Mukherjee, B. Chaudhuri, On the role of forces governing particulate interactions in pharmaceutical systems: A review, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 526, 1-2, 516-537, 2017.
2) S. Sarkar, B. Chaudhuri, Discrete Element Method (DEM) based modeling of higher shear wet granulation process, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Under Review, 2017.
3) S. Sarkar, P. Peri, B. Chaudhuri, Investigation of multiphase multicomponent aerosol flow dictating pMDI-spacer interactions, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 529, 1-2, 264-274, 2017.
4) S. Sarkar, B. Minatovicz, K. Thalberg, B. Chaudhuri, Mechanistic investigation of mixing and segregation of ordered mixtures: Experiments and Numerical Simulations, Drug Product and Industrial Pharmacy, 1-9, DOI: 10.1080/03639045.2017.1338719, 2017.
5) S. Sarkar, B. Minatovicz, K. Thalberg, B. Chaudhuri, Development of rational design space for optimizing mixing conditions for formulations of adhesive mixtures for dry powder inhaler formulations, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 106, 1, 129-139, 2017 2
6) S. Naik, R. Mukherjee, B. Chaudhuri, Triboelectrification: A review of experimental and mechanistic modeling approaches with a special focus on pharmaceutical powders, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 510, 375-385, 2016.
7) S. Naik, S. Sarkar, B. Hancock, W. Yu, Y. Abramov, M. Rowland, B. Chaudhuri, An experimental and numerical modeling study of tribocharging of pharmaceutical granular mixtures, Powder Technology, 297, 211-219, 2016
8) S. Naik, B. Hancock, Y. Abramov, W. Yu, M. Rowland, Z. Huang, B. Chaudhuri Quantification of tribocharging of pharmaceutical powders in V-blenders: Experiments, Multi-scale Modeling and Simulations, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 105, 4, 1467-1477, 2016.
9) V. Gupta, R. Mukherjee, S. Naik, S Sarkar, V. Gupta, P. Peri, B. Chaudhuri, Effects of particle size on the triboelectrification phenomenon in pharmaceutical excipients: experiments and multi-scale modeling, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 11, 5,603-617, 2016.
10) Book Chapter: E. Sahni, S. Naik, B. Chaudhuri, Numerical Simulations of Unit Operations in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms, Chapter 13, Computational Approaches in Pharmaceutical Solid State Chemistry Edited by Yuriy Abramov, Wiley Inc, 375-395, 2016.
11) S. Naik, B. Chaudhuri, Quantifying dry milling in pharmaceutical processing: A review on experimental and modeling approaches, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 104, 8, 2601-2612, 2015.
12) S. Naik, V. Gupta, S. Sarkar, B. Hancock, Y. Abramov, W. Yu, B. Chaudhuri, A combined experimental and numerical approach to explore tribocharging of pharmaceutical excipients in a hopper chute assembly, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 491, 1-2, 58-68, 2015.
13) S. Sarkar, J. Cho, B. Chaudhuri, Differential electrostatic interactions between granular species in a simple hopper chute geometry, Journal of Developing Drugs, 3, 2, 123-131, 2014.
14) S. Naik. Y. Feng, B. Chaudhuri, Experiment and model based investigation of comminution in a hammer mill, Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements, 2, 3, 363-374, 2014.
15) E. Sahni, R. Bogner, B. Chaudhuri, Systematic Investigation of Parameters affecting Contact Drying in an Agitated Filter Dryer, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 102, 7, 2198-2213, 2013.
16) E. Sahni, B. Chaudhuri, Numerical Simulations of Contact drying in Agitated Filter dryer, Chemical Engineering Science, 97, 34-49, 2013.
17) S. Naik, R. Malla, M. Shaw, B. Chaudhuri, Investigation of Comminution in a Wiley Mill: Experiment and DEM Simulations, Powder Technology, 237, 338-354, 2013.
18) J. Cho, Y. Zhu, K. Lewkowicz, S. Lee, T. Bergman, B. Chaudhuri, Solving granular segregation problems using a biaxial rotary mixer, Chemical Engineering and Processing, 57-58, 42-50, 2012.
19) E. Sahni, B. Chaudhuri, Contact drying: A review of experimental and mechanistic modeling approaches, International Journal of Pharmaceutics 434(1-2), 334-348, 2012.
20) E. Sahni, J. Hallisey, B. Morgan, J. Strong, B. Chaudhuri, Quantifying drying performance of Filter Dryer: Experiments and Simulations, Advanced Powder Technology, 23, 239-249, 2012. 3
21) S. Sarkar, J. Cho, B. Chaudhuri, Mechanisms of Electrostatic Charge Reduction of Granular Media with Additives on Different Surfaces, Chemical Engineering and Processing, 62, 166-175, 2012.
22) E. Sahni, B. Chaudhuri, Experimental and modeling approaches in characterizing coating uniformity in a pancoater: A literature review, Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, 17, 2, 1-14, 2012. (Ranked 10th out of most 100 downloaded articles of Pharm. Dev. Tech. from 1995-2012)
23) E. Sahni, B. Chaudhuri, Estimation of Coating variability under Optimal Coating conditions in a Pan coater, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 418, 286-296, 2011
24) S. Naik, B. Chaudhuri, Investigating Granular Milling in a Hammer Mill: Experiments and Simulations, Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements, 15, 121-132, 2011.
25) E. Sahni, R. Yau, B. Chaudhuri*, Understanding granular mixing to enhance coating performance in a pan coater, Powder Technology, 205, 1-3, 231-241, 2011.
26) Book Chapter: B. Chaudhuri#, F. Muzzio, M. Tomassone, Experimentally Validated Numerical Modeling of Heat Transfer in Granular Flow in Rotating Vessels, Heat Transfer -Mathematical Modelling, Numerical Methods and Information Technology, Aziz Belmiloudi (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-550-1, InTech, 2011.
27) S. Manickam, R. Shah, J. Tomei, T. Bergman, B. Chaudhuri, Investigating Mixing in a Multi-dimensional Rotary Mixer: Experiments and Simulations, Powder Technology, 201,1, 83-92, 2010.
28) A. Faqih, B.Chaudhuri, A. Mehrotra, F. Muzzio, Constitutive model to predict flow properties of cohesive powders in bench scale hoppers, Chemical Engineering and Science, 65, 3341-3351, 2010.
29) B. Chaudhuri, F. Muzzio, M. Tomassone, Experimentally Validated Computations of Heat Transfer in Granular Materials in Rotary Calciners, Powder Technology, 198, 6-15, 2010.
30) R. Shah, S. Manickam, J. Tomei, T. Bergman, B. Chaudhuri*, Mixing study in a multidimensional motion mixer, Powders and Grains, 6, 683-687, 2009.
31) D. Fichana, A. Marchut, P. Ohlsson, S. Chang, O. Lyngberg, J. Dougherty, S. Kiang, H. Stamato, B. Chaudhuri, F. Muzzio, Experimental and Model Based Approaches to Studying Mixing in Coating Pans, Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, 14, 2, 173-184, 2009.
32) A. Mehrotra, B.Chaudhuri, A. Faqih, M.Tomassone, F.Muzzio; A modeling approach for understanding effects of powder flow properties on tablet weight variability, Powder Technology, 188, 295-300, 2009.
33) A.Faqih, B.Chaudhuri, A.Alexander, S.Hammond, F. Muzzio, M.Tomassone; Dilation effects of cohesive granular material in a rotating drum: Experiments and Simulations, AICHE Journal, 52, 4124-4132, 2006.
34) A.Faqih, B.Chaudhuri, A.Alexander, C.Davies, F. Muzzio, M.Tomassone; An experimental/Computational approach for examining unconfined cohesive powder flow; International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 324, 116-127, 2006.
35) B.Chaudhuri, F.Muzzio, M.Tomassone, Modeling of heat transfer in granular flow in rotary vessels, Chemical Engineering Science, 61, 6348-6360, 2006.
36) B.Chaudhuri, A.Mehrotra, F. Muzzio, M. Tomassone; Cohesive effects in powder mixing in a tumbling blender, Powder Technology, 165, 103-112, 2006.
37) B. Chaudhuri, A. Alexander, A.Faqih, F Muzzio, C. Davies, M.Tomassone; Avalanching flow of cohesive powders, Powder Technology, 164, 13-21, 2006.
38) M.Tomassone, B. Chaudhuri, A. Faqih, A. Mehrotra, F. Muzzio, DEM simulation for fundamental process understanding, Pharmaceutical Tech., 29, S28-S35, 2005.
39) R.Dave, C.Wu, B.Chaudhuri, S.Watano, Magnetically mediated flow enhancement for controlled powder discharge of cohesive powders, Powder Technology, 112, 1-2, 111-125,2000.
40) B. Chaudhuri, P. Singh, R. Pfeffer, and R. Dave, Simulation and modeling of magnetically- assisted impaction coating process for dry particle coating, World Congress on Particle Technology, Brighton, U.K., 370, 1-13, 1998
41) B. Chaudhuri, J. Modak, Optimization of fed-batch bioreactors using a neural network model, Bioprocess Engineering,19, 1, 71-79,1998.