Dipesh Shikchand Patle, PhD
Chemical Engineering Department
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
Dipesh S Patle has received Bachelor of Technology, Master of Engineering, and Doctor of Philosophy from Amaravati University (India), BITS Pilani (India), and Universiti Sains Malaysia (Malaysia), respectively. He has worked at BITS Pilani (India), IIT Kharagpur (India) and VIT Vellore (India) in various capacities. Currently, he is associated with Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad (India). He completed his post-doctorate from Politecnico di Milano, Italy. His research interest includes: Process modelling, Simulation, Plantwide Control and OTS development. He has several international publications to his credit. He also has received research grants from different agencies. He has visited several countries for various purposes. He is currently guiding several PhD and MTech/ME candidates.
1. Current Research:
Currently I am working on 'Biodiesel production from microalgae using ionic liquid catalyst in ultrasonic assisted reactor (Government of India sponsored)'. At the same time, my current research also focuses on process intensification to achieve maximum profit and minimum energy consumption. I am also working on the plantwide control of several chemical processes, such as biodiesel, formic acid, ethyl levulinate etc.
2. PhD Research:-
Duration: From Oct 12 June 15
Two biodiesel production processes (both involving acid esterification and alkali transesterification) were simulated realistically and compared for economic and environmental objectives: profit, heat duty and organic waste. An Excel-based multi-objective optimization (EMOO) program for the elitist non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm (NSGA-II) was used to determine Pareto-optimal fronts. Subsequently, a suitable PWC system was developed for the better biodiesel process using the integrated framework of simulation and heuristics (IFSH) and its performance was tested for several plantwide performance criteria. Finally, an operator training simulator (OTS) was developed for the biodiesel process to train the operators for startups and several emergency situations.
3. Worked in a team on ‘design, modeling, simulation and cost analysis of CO2 removal from synthesis gas using mixed amine solution’. [TNB Research Sdn. Bhd. Malaysia (259519-A) – A wholly owned subsidiary of TNB RESEARCH SDN. BHD]
Duration: From Jan 13 to April 13
Our team was involved in design, modeling and simulation of a plant for removing CO2 from synthesis gas using the mixed amine solution. We proposed suitable operating conditions in order to absorb maximum CO2 in mixed amine solution. Subsequently, we were responsible for the preliminary cost analysis of the plant.
4. Worked as Senior Research Fellow at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur (BARC sponsored project entitled ‘Design, Modeling and Control of High Pressure Pilot Scale HIX Reactive Distillation’)
Duration: From 06/08/2010 to 31/01/2012
The main objective of the work was to develop and simulate equilibrium and non-equilibrium models for high pressure pilot scale HIX (a mixture of HI, I2 and H2O) reactive distillation unit. The main challenge was to propose a suitable thermodynamic model considering the complex behavior of feed components and insufficient experimental data. The developed models were simulated using Aspen Plus, considering e-NRTL property method. The binary interaction parameters were determined using genetic algorithm optimization as well as Aspen Plus Data Regression tool.
Awards and Achievements
Received Sanggar Sanjung Award 2014 (Journal Publication 2014) from Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Received Erasmus Mundus Post Doctoral Fellowship at Politecnico Di Milano, Italy in 2016.
Entry 'Operator Training Simulator' was selected as one of the finalists for the Training and Development Award in IChemE Singapore Awards in 2016.
Achieved full financial support for pursuing Doctor of Philosophy and obtained Graduation on Time award (GOT) from Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Achieved full financial support for pursuing ME and PhD.
Achieved first prize in an international level paper presentation at COLLISION 2006 held at DDU Nadiad.
Achieved All India Rank of 972 in GATE 2007.
Member of American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) [009901827490 ].
Life Associate Member of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChE) [LAM-38851].
Member of BITSAA, BITS Pilani [L-18428].
Mohanta, H. K., Patle, D. S., and Pani, A. K., “Advanced process control", Educational Development Division, Birla Institute of Technology and Science Pilani, 2010.
1. Patle, D. S.; Manca D.; Salman, N.; Sharma S., Operator training simulators in virtual reality environment for process operators: a review, Virtual Reality (Accepted), 2018.
2. Sharma, S.; Patle, D. S.; Gadhamsetti, A. P.; Pandit, S.; Manca, D.; Nirmala G S. Intensification and performance assessment of the formic acid production process through a dividing wall reactive distillation column with vapor recompression, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 123, 2018, 204-213, ISSN 0255-2701, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2017.11.016. (IF: 2.8)
3. Khiratkar, A. G., Balinge, K. R., Krishnamurthy, M., Cheralathan K. K., Patle, D. S., Singh, V., Arora, A. and Bhagat, P. R. Sulphonic Acid-Functionalized Benzimidazolium based Poly ionic liquid Catalyzed Esterification of Levulinic Acid. Catalysis Letters, 2018, 148, 680–690 (IF: 2.8)
4. Khiratkar, A. G., Balinge, K. R., Patle, D S., Krishnamurthy, M., Cheralathan K. K. and Bhagat, P. R. Transesterification of Castor Oil using Benzimidazolium based Brönsted acidic Ionic Liquid Catalyst, Fuel, 2018, 231, 458–467 (IF: 4.7)
5. Balinge, K. R.; Khiratkar, A.G.; Krishnamurthy M.; Patle, D. S.; Cheralathan, K. K.; Bhagat, P. R., Deep-desulphurization of the petroleum diesel using the
heterogeneous Brønsted acid IL catalyst, Resource-Efficient Technologies, 2016, 2, S105-S113.
6. Ranganayakulu, R.; Bhaskar Babu, G. U.; Rao. S.; Patle, D. S. A Comparative Study of recent Fractional Order PI/PID Tuning rules for Stable First Order Plus Time Delay Processes, Resource-Efficient Technologies, 2, 2016, S136-152.
7. Ahmad, Z., Patle, D. S., Rangaiah, G. P., Operator training simulator for biodiesel synthesis from waste cooking oil, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 99, 2016, 58-68 (IF: 3.1).
8. Norhalim, A., Don, M. M., Ahmad, Z., Patle D. S., Modeling and optimisation of xylose production by enzymatic hydrolysis using neural network and particle swarm optimization, Chemical Product and Process Modeling, 10(3), 2015, 173-178.
9. Keong, L. S., Ahmad, Z., Patle, D S., Syukor, S. R., Biodiesel production using heterogeneous catalyst in cstr: sensitivity analysis and optimization, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 121, 2016.
10. Patle, D. S., Wei P. E., Ahmad, Z., Simulation and economic analysis of biodiesel production using supercritical methanol. Journal of Engineering Science, 11, 2015, 17–26.
11. Patle, D. S., Ahmad, Z., Rangaiah, G. P., Multi-loop control system design for biodiesel process using waste cooking oil, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 622 doi:10.1088/1742-6596/622/1/012011, 2015.
12. Patle, D. S., Ahmad, Z., Rangaiah, G. P., Plantwide control of biodiesel production from waste cooking oil using integrated framework of simulation and heuristics, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 53 (37), 2014, 14408–14418 (IF: 2.8).
13. Patle, D. S., Sharma, S., Ahmad, Z., Rangaiah, G. P., Multi-objective optimization of two alkali catalyzed processes for bio-diesel from waste cooking oil, Energy Conversion and Management, 85, 2014, 361-372 (IF: 5.6).
14. Patle, D. S., Ahmad, Z., Rangaiah, G. P., Operator training simulator in chemical industry: review, issues and future directions, Reviews in Chemical Engineering, 30(2), 2014, 199-216 (IF: 3.2).
15. Patle, D. S., Ahmad, Z., Techno-economic analysis of an alkali catalyzed biodiesel production using waste palm oil, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 465-466, 2014, 120-124.
16. Prakash, K. J., Patle, D. S., Jana, A. K., Neuro-estimator based GMC control of a batch reactive distillation. ISA Transactions, 50, 2011, 357-363 (IF: 3.4).
17. Datta, D., Patle, D. S., Sensitivity analysis of methyl acetate synthesis reactive distillation column, IUP Journal of Science and Technology, 6(3), 2010, 24-36.
18. Patle, D. S., Mohanta, H. K., Generic model control with adaptive state estimation for nonlinear CSTR, The IUP Journal of Chemical Engineering, 1(2), 2009, 22-36.
Several other papers are under review/under preparation