Dr. Manoj Kumar, PhD
Department of Emergency Medicine, Translational Research Lab
JPN Apex Trauma Centre
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
New Delhi, India
Dr. Manoj Kumar has completed his PhD from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. and postdoctoral studies from AIIMS, AFU, CIRB and NIMS University. He has published more than 21 papers in reputed journals and has been serving as an editorial board member of National Editorial & Reviewer Board of the Indian Journal of Immunology & Respiratory Medicine and International Editor Board of Member of the Journal of Emergency Medicine Forecast.
Trauma, Shock and sepsis
Trauma is the third leading cause of mortality worldwide. Hemorrhagic shock is a major cause of morbidity and mortality after trauma. Up to 50 percent of deaths occur due to the trauma-hemorrhage. Severe injury and hemorrhagic shock results in an excessive production of inflammatory cytokines and hematopoietic progenitor cell apoptosis lead to the MOF.
It leads to an economic burden of 3.68% of gross domestic product (GDP) in India as compare to 1.43% in the United States. Severe traumatic injury initiates an inflammatory cascade that increases the patient's risk of immunological dysfunction, systemic inflammation, multi-system organ failure and sepsis. The Emergency Department at JPN Apex Trauma Centre, AIIMS, New Delhi, has introduced a new dimension in improving patient care at Emergency Departments with the implementation of translational research in acute care medicine.
Awards & Honours
Best Author award
Best author award of Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, 12th May 2018, Organized by Innovative Publication Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
Research associate fellowship award
Research associateship fellowship award 2018 from ICMR ((No-3/1/2/4 (Trauma) 18, NCD-I)
Oral Presentation Award
3rd best presentation (Doctor group); Trauma 2014, Nov. 27 -30; Organized by JPN Apex Trauma Center, AIIMS, New Delhi, India.
Study title - “Monocyte Chemoattractan Protein-1 is a prognostic marker following trauma hemorrhagic shock”
Poster Presentation Award
3rd best presentation (Doctor group); Trauma-2013, Nov. 7 -10; Organized JPN Apex Trauma Center , AIIMS, New Delhi, India
Study title - “Increased hematopoietic progenitor cells (HPC) mobilization from bone marrow associated with mortality following Trauma Hemorrhagic shock”
Received International travel grant for presenting my work at the conference “20th ISCT-2014”, Annual Meeting, 2014, April 23-26, Paris, France
IMMUNOCON-2015 from Indian Immunology Society for conference held at RMRI, Patna, India.
IMMUNOCON-2014 from Indian Immunology Society for conference held at Madurai, India,
IMMUNOCON-2016 from IIS for conference held at Vishakhapatnam, AP, India
Indian Immunological Society (IIS)
Indian Society of Trauma and Acute Care (ISTAC)
Society of Young Scientist (2011, 2013, 2014)
The Indian Science Congress Association ( L26582)
International Society of Cellular Therapy (ISCT, 2014-2015)
PubMed Indexed journals
1. Kumar M, Bhoi S, Selvi A, Kamal VK, Mohanty S, Rao DN. Evaluation of circulating Hematopoietic progenitor cells in patients with Trauma Hemorrhagic shock and its correlation with clinical outcome. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2016;6:56-60.
2. Kumar M, Bhoi S, Mohanty S, Selvi S, Kamal VK, Rao DN, Galwankar S. Bone marrow hematopoietic stem cells behavior in trauma hemorrhagic shock patients. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci . 2016 Jul-Sep;6(3):119-126
3. Kumar M, Bhoi S. Impaired hematopoietic progenitor cells in trauma hemorrhagic shock. J Clin Orthop Trauma. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2016 Oct-Dec;7(4):282-285.
4. Kumar M, Bhoi S. Keshava S. Human-induced pluripotent stem cells derived hematopoietic failure among trauma hemorrhagic shock” Journal of Clinical orthopaedics and Trauma. JCOT_556_2018 ( Accepted).
Other Indexed journals
5. Kumar M, Rao DN, Mohanty S, Selvi A , Bhoi S. Interleukin (IL)-8 is an early predictor of mortality following trauma hemorrhagic shock. Int. J. Adv. Res. Biol.Sci. 2(7): (2015): 12–20.
6. Kumar M, Bhoi S, Selvi A, Kamal VK, Mohanty S, Rao DN. Evaluation of Serum Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor in Patients admitted with Trauma Hemorrhagic shock. Int. J. Adv. Res. Biol.Sci. 2(7): (2015): 107–114.
7. Kumar M, Bhoi S, Kamal VK, Mohanty S, Rao DN, Galwankar S. Evaluation of bone marrow erythropoietin receptor in trauma hemorrhagic shock. Int. J. Adv. Res. Biol.Sci. 2(8): (2015): 43-49.
8. Narula S, Sharma P, Kumar N, Kumar N, Kumar M. An Upsurge of Gram Negative Bacteria in Community Acquired Pneumonia: An Alarming Trend!. J Emerg Med Forecast. 2018; 1(1): 1007.
9. Kumar M, Bhoi S. Hematopoietic stem cells: Can it be therapeutic option for the hematopoietic failure in patients with trauma hemorrhagic shock? J.Emerg Med Trauma Shock 2016; 9: 51-2.
10. Kumar M, Bhoi S. Does erythropoietin reactivate bone marrow dysfunction in trauma hemorrhagic shock? Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci 2015;5:230-1.
11. Kumar M, Bhoi S. Cytokines, granulocyte-monocyte colony stimulating factor, interleukin-3 and erythropoietin: Can be a therapeutic option for the stimulation of hematopoietic progenitor cells in trauma-hemorrhagic shock?. Indian J Crit Care Med 2016;20:207-9.
12. Bhoi S. Tiwari S, Kumar M. Estrogen: Is it a new therapeutic paradigm for trauma hemorrhagic shock? Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2016;6:53.
13. Kumar M, Sharma K, Bhoi S, Kumar M, Pol MM, Galwankar S. Expression of p-38MAPK, GSK, JNK, ERK signaling: Can it be used as molecular markers among trauma hemorrhagic shock patients? J.Emerg Med Trauma Shock 2016;9:131-2.
14. Kumar M, Bhoi S. Do bone marrow mononuclear cells can be used as a therapeutic target for trauma hemorrhagic shock? Inter J Medical Sci Res Prac 2015;2(3):1-1.
15. Kumar M, Bhoi S. Mesenchymal stem cell: Can it be used for treatment of trauma hemorrhagic shock? Int J Stud Res. 2015;5(1):15-6.
16. Kumar M, Sharma K, Pol Manjunath M, Bhoi S, Kumar M, Baitha U. "Hypoxia-inducible factor 1: A biomarker for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome? Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine January-March 2016;1(1);1-2.
17. Sharma K, Kumar M, Bhoi S, Galwankar S. Can circulating microRNAs act as molecular biomarkers in trauma-hemorrhagic shock? Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine (Accepted).
18. Kumar M, Sharma K, Bhoi S. Resveratrol: Can it be therapeutic adjunct for the treatment of mitochondrial dysfunction in trauma hemorrhagic shock? Indian Journal of Medical Sciences (Under review).
19. Sharma K, Kumar M, Bhoi S, Pol MM, Momin I. Can Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors be used as additional adjunct in Trauma hemorrhagic shock? Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine. 2016;1(2);29-30.
20. Kaul PR, Sagar S, Kumar S, Kumar M, Sharma K. Can soft tissue reconstruction with structural fat grafting be used an alternative invasive surgical procedure in patients with post-traumatic facial defects? Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine. 2016; 1(2);31-32.
21. Kumar M, Bhoi S, Keshava S, Resveratrol: Does Innovative Option for the Treatment of Mitochondrial Dysfunction among Trauma Hemorrhagic Shock? J Emerg Med Forecast. 2018; 1(1): 1005.