Dr. Niyaz Ahmad Naikoo
Dept. Of Biotechnology
J&K Higher Education Department
I, Niyaz Ahmad Naikoo obtained masters in Biotechnology from University of Kashmir. Worked as Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Biotechnology at S.P College Srinagar and Boys Degree College Anantanag Jammu & Kashmir, India and then pursued doctorate in Immunology & Molecular Medicine at SKIMS India in 2012.
In 2012, i moved to Division of Biotechnology at SKUAST-K, J&K India, where i began work on the Hand Made Cloning of Ruminants and differential gene expression using q-PCR till 2016. I have more than six years of Research and teaching experience and over 22 national and international publications. Currently I am delivering duties as Assistant professor in the division of Biotechnology in Cluster University, Govt. College for Women M.A Road Srinagar J&K India and i am editorial Board member of journals like Insights in Surgery, Current Research in Molecular Medicine and reviewer for journals of Gene, Tumori, tumor Biology and Journal of Gene Medicine.
His research interest is to understand the molecular mechanisms of cancer initiation and progression and developing novel strategies for diagnosis and treatment. My work focuses on studying several cancer-related signaling pathways and biological processes. These include cross talks between receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK) pathways, tumor growth and metastasis development as well as resistance to existing treatments, particularly in lung cancer. I have thorough experience in in-vitro/in-vivo experiments, microscopy, microbiology, biological data analysis, interpretation and hypothesis generation mice handling, lymphocyte proliferation assays, macrophage collection test, ELISA, delayed type hypersensitive test in mice, chromatography techniques like molecular sieve chromatography, electrophoretic techniques like PAGE with more than four years of teaching/research experience and published more than 18 articles as journals, conferences and other articles. Experience in Nucleic acid (DNA and RNA) purification and handling expertise, Extensive experience with PCR and quantitative real-time PCR, Experience with primer and probe design. Hands on skills in PCR, RT-PCR. Genotyping using qPCR, Experience in SNP, SSR, ISSR, and RAPD genotyping techniques and data analysis. Familiar with sequencing technologies and molecular based disease diagnostics, proficient in data interpretation. Gene cloning ( Transformation, Transfection), Establishment and maintenance of mammalian cell lines (Primary cell culture, Fibroblast Cell culture) for transfection, Differential gene expression through qPCR
Proficiency in Microsoft office, SPSS, Graphpad prism, Chromas, Clustal X,Primer designing, Familiar with sequence alignment software etc.
1. Single nucleotide polymorphisms, haplotype association and tumour expression ofthe vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) gene with lung carcinoma.
Niyaz A Naykoo, Dil-Afroze, Roohi Rasool, Sonaullah Shah, A.G Ahangar, Imtiyaz A Bhat, Iqbal Qasim, Mushtaq A Siddiqi, Zafar A Shah
Gene 608 (2017) 95–102
2. Vascular endothelial growth factorA gene (VEGFA) polymorphisms and expression of VEGFA gene in lung cancer patients of Kashmir Valley (India).
Niyaz A Naik, Imtiyaz A Bhat, Dil Afroze, Roohi Rasool, Hyder Mir,Syed Irtiza Andrabi, Sonaullah Shah, Mushtaq A Siddiqi, Zafar A Shah
Tumor Biology (2012) 33:833–839
3. CTTTA Deletion/Insertion polymorphism in 3'-UTR of LEPR gene in type 2 diabetes subjects belonging to Kashmiri population.
Iqra Hameed, Shariq R Masoodi, Dil Afroze, Riyaz A Bhat, Niyaz A Naykoo, Shahnaz A Mir, Idrees Mubarik, Bashir A Ganai. Hameed I
Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders (2014) 13:124.
4. Contribution of TGFb1 Codon 10 Polymorphism to High Myopia in an Ethnic Kashmiri Population from India.
Shabhat Rasool, Ishfaq Ahmed, Rubiya Dar, Sheikh Gazalla Ayub,Sabia Rashid,Tariq Jan, Tahir Ahmed, Niyaz A Naikoo, Khurshid I. Andrabi
Biochem Genetics (2013) 51(3-4):323-33
5. Role of Skin Prick Test in Allergic Disorders: A Prospective Study in Kashmiri Population in Light of Review.
Roohi Rasool, Irfan Ali Shera, Saniya Nissar, Zaffar A Shah, Niyaz Nayak, Mushtaq A Siddiqi, Aga Syed Sameer
Indian Journal of Dermatology (2013) 58(1)
6. Open pulled straw (OPS) vitrification and slow freezing of sheep IVF embryos using different cryoprotectants.
M H Bhat, V Sharma, F A Khan, Niyaz A Naykoo, S H Yaqoob, Gabor Vajita, Hilal Ahmad, M R Fazili, N A Ganai and R A Shah
Reproduction Fertility and Development (2014)
7. Trp Homozygotes at Codon 64 of ADRB3 Gene Are Protected Against the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in the Kashmiri Population
Iqra Hameed, Shariq R. Masoodi, Niyaz A Naykoo, Riyaz A. Bhat, Bashir A. Ganai
Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers (2013) 17 (10) 775–779.
8. TGIF1 is a Potential Candidate Gene for High Myopia in Ethnic Kashmiri Population.
Ishfaq Ahmed, Shabhat Rasool, Tariq Jan, Tariq Qureshi, Niyaz A Naykoo and Khurshid I. Andrabi
Current Eye Research (2013) 39(3):282-90
9. Lack of Association of a Common Polymorphism in the 3' -UTR of Interleukin 8 with Non Small Cell Lung Cancer in Kashmir.
Bhat IA, Pandith AA, Bhat BA, Naykoo N A, Qasim I, Rasool R, Aziz SA, Shah ZA
Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention (2013) 14 (7), 4403-4408
10. Molecular characterization of RNA binding motif protein 3 (RBM3) gene from Pashmina goat.
Ruby Zargar, Uneeb Urwat, Firdose Malik, Riaz A. Shah, M.H. Bhat, Niyaz A Naykoo, Firdous Khan, H.M. Khan, Syed Mudasir Ahmed, Ramesh Kumar Vijh, Nazir A. Ganai.
Research in Veterinary Science (2015) 98, 51–58.
11. Comparison of Slow Freezing and Vitrification on Ovine Immature Oocytes.
M H Bhat, V Sharma, F A Khan, Niyaz A Naykoo, S H Yaqoob, Ruby, H M Khan, M R Fazili, N A Ganai and R A Shah
12. In vitro Development of Goat- Sheep & Goat- Goat zona- free cloned embryos in different culture media.
F A Khan, M H Bhat, S H Yaqoob, S M Waheed, Niyaz A Naykoo, H Athar, H MKhan, M R Fazili, N A Ganai, S K Singla, R A Shah
Theriogenology (2014) 81(3):419-23.
13. Association of interleukin 1 beta (IL-1β) polymorphism with mRNA expression and risk of non small cell lung cancer.
Imtiyaz A. Bhat, Niyaz A Naykoo, Iqbal Qasim, Farooq A. Ganie, Qaiser Yousuf, Bashir A. Bhat, Roohi Rasool, S.A. Aziz, Zafar A Shah.
Meta Gene (2014) 2: 123–133.
14. Possible Impact of RET Polymorphism and Its Haplotypic Association Modulates the Susceptibility to Thyroid Cancer
Khan MS, Pandith AA, Iqbal M, Naykoo NA, Khan SH, Rather TA, Mudassar S
J Cell Biochem (2015) 116(8): 1712-8.
15. Comparison between lignocaine hydrochloride and ropivacaine hydrochloride as lumbosacral epidural anaesthetic agents in goats undergoing laparoscopy assisted embryo transfer.
Anubhav Khajuria, Mujeeb ur Rehman Fazili, Riaz Ahmad Shah, Maajid Hassan Bhat, Firdous Ahmad Khan, Syed Hilal Yaqoob, Niyaz Ahmad Naykoo, Nazir Ahmad Ganai.
Mac Vet Rev (2014) 37 (2): i-ix.
16. Polymorphism in the CC-chemokine receptor-5 (CCR5) gene and risk of AIDS among Kashmiri population.
Syed Irtiza, Dil-Afroze, Niyaz A Naykoo, Lateef Charoo, Iqbal Qasim, Inayat S. Fazilia,Mir Aasif, Mushtaq A Siddiqi
Journal of AIDS and HIV Research (2011) 3(5), pp. 103-106.
17. Normal laparoscopic anatomy of the caprine pelvic cavity
Mujeeb ur Rehman Fazili, Riaz Ahmad Shah, Maajid Hassan Bhat, Firdous Ahmad Khan,
Anubhav Khajuria, Syed Hilal Yaqoob, Niaz Ahmad Naykoo, Nazir Ahmad Ganai.
Veterinary Science Development (2015) Vol 5, No 2
18. SEX AND SEASONAL VARIATIONS IN THE SERUM BIOCHEMICAL PROFILE OF CHANGTHANGI PASHMINA GOATS.
Uneeb Urwat, Inayat S .Fazili, Ruby, Touseef A.Rafiquee, F.D. Sheikh, Niyaz A. Naykoo, Firdous A. Malik, Riyaz A Shah, Nazir A. Ganai
Animal Science Reporter (2015), V 9(6)
19. IL 10 promoter polymorphism and gastric cancer risk in A+ve blood group patients in Kashmiri population.
Syed Irtiza, Niyaz A Naykoo, Imtiyaz A Bhat, Amat Us Samie, Dil-Afroze, Shakir Ali, Mushtaq A Siddiqi
International journal of genetics and molecular biology (2011) 3(8)
20. Single-nucleotide polymorphisms and haplotypes of vascular endothelial growth factor
Niyaz Naykoo, Dil Afroze, Roohi Rasool, A G Ahangar, Sonaullah Shah, Imtiyaz Bhat, Iqbal Qasim, Mushtaq A Siddiqi, Zafar A Shah
Gene Reports 8 (2017) 110–116
21. SNP and haplotype analysis of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) gene in lung cancer patients of Kashmir
Niyaz A Naikoo1*, Dil-Afroze1, Roohi Rasool1 Sonaullah Shah2, A G Ahangar3, Imtiyaz A Bhat1, Iqbal Qasim4, Mushtaq A Siddiqi5, Zafar A Shah1* Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 18 (7) (2017) 1799-1804
22. Up regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), its role in progression and prognosis of non-small cell lung carcinoma
Niyaz A. Naikoo, Dil-Afroze, Roohi Rasool, Sonaullah Shah, A.G. Ahangar , Mushtaq A. Siddiqi, Zafar A. Shah
Cancer Genetics 216-217 (2017) 67–73