Dr. Simon Walusimbi
Senior Research Fellow
Makerere University Lung Institute
• Makerere University Lung Institute (Senior Research Fellow) 2016-todate
• Part-time lecturer Makerere University School of Public Health 2016-todate
• Board member (Uganda Stop TB partnership) 2014-todate
• PI of project to evaluate new TB tests for diagnosis of TB in HIV patients. 2010-2014
• Consultant TRACK TB (USAID) Annual NTLP Performance Report 2013/14 Aug/2014
• Consultant Baylor College, Uganda. Revision of national HIV/TB training materials Jul/2013
• Consultant TBCARE (USAID) Uganda Project. Implementation of CBDOTS in Kampala Oct /2013
• Technical Advisor, TB/HIV Services, Makerere University Joint AIDS program. 2008-2016
• Program Officer, RTI-International Uganda. HIV Counseling, Testing and basic care project. 2005-2008
• Medical Officer and Acting medical superintendent, Nkozi Mission Hospital. 2002-2004
• Resident Doctor, Mulago Teaching Hospital. 2000-2001
AWARDS AND GRANTS
• Evaluation of the Uganda 2013 TB/HIV collaborative policy 2017; MaKSPH/CDC (165,000USD)
• Evaluation of Child TB Diagnostic Algorithm for Uganda 2016-2018; Makerere University/SIDA(20,000USD)
• Expanding TB/HIV integrated activities in RRHs of Uganda 2008-2010 (CDC grant)
• Expanding access to coverage and utilization of HTC in Karamoja region 2010-2015 (USAID grant)
• Provision of comprehensive HIV care in National Referral Hospitals 2010-2015 (CDC grant)
• Scholarship for training in advanced molecular clinical microbiology in Africa, Wellcome trust, 2013
• Award for best abstract on HIV co-infections and morbidities, Uganda Society of Health Scientists, 2013
• Research scholarship from the World Federation of Scientists, 2012 and 2013
• Grant for PhD training from Makerere University/ SIDA. 2010 to 2014
• Scholarship from the Belgian Technical Cooperation Agency for Tropical Diseases Control. 2010
• Scholarship from Makerere University for specialist training in HIV/AIDS care. 2003
• State scholarship to study Medicine and Surgery (MB.ChB) at Makerere University. 1995 to 2000
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS 2003 to date
• Contributor to the 2015-2020 District HIV Strategic Plans for ten districts in central Uganda
• Contributor to the 2015 Uganda National TB Strategic Plan 20015/16-2019/2020
• Contributor to the 2013 Uganda National Guidelines on Collaborative TB/HIV Activities
• Contributor to the 2010 Uganda Ministry of Health Manual of TB and Leprosy treatment and Control
• Contributor to the 2009 Uganda Ministry of Health TB infection control guidelines-2009
• Contributor to the 2005 Uganda Ministry of Health HIV counseling, testing and basic care guidelines
• Implemented the set up of integrated TB/HIV clinics in five regional referral hospitals.
• Implemented introduction of Routine HIV testing services in 16 hospitals and health centers.
• Established the Department of Radiology, Nkozi Hospital.
• Established the Infectious diseases/ HIV clinic in Nkozi Hospital.
LICENSES AND AFFILIATIONS
• Registered with the Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioners’ Council.
• Member of the Uganda Medical Association.
• Member of the Uganda Society of Health Scientists
• Member of the Uganda Thoracic society