Eleni Golomazou, PhD
Assistant Professor of Fish Health Protection and Welfare
Department of Ichthyology & Aquatic Environment
School of Agricultural Sciences
University of Thessaly, 383 34 N. Ionia, Volos, Greece
Eleni Golomazou is an Assistant Professor of Fish Health Protection and Welfare at the Department of Ichthyology & Aquatic Environment - School of Agricultural Sciences - University of Thessaly in Greece. She completed her undergraduate studies in Agricultural Animal Production Science (specialized in ichthyology and aquaculture) and her Ph.D. thesis was on the field of fish diseases, at the Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Thessaly, Greece. She is teaching in the area of fish diseases, fish health management and welfare. She is involved in several research projects on the scientific field of aquaculture, fish health, anaesthesia and welfare. She is reviewer of research programs, research papers and editorial board member of scientific Journals. She has more than 60 publications in scientific journals and conference proceedings, h-index=7 and citations=112. Her research interests are mainly focused on fish welfare, health management and biosecurity in aquaculture, use of phytobiotics in aquaculture, anaesthetic agents, genotoxicity, parasitic and viral diseases.
• Health management and biosecurity in aquaculture
• Study on parasitic and viral diseases of cultured and wild fish
• Fish welfare
• Use of phytobiotics in aquaculture
• Genotoxicity – DNA damage by comet assay (SCGE)
• Development of molecular techniques for pathogens detection and identification
1. Golomazou E. (2007). Study of seasonality and prevalence of myxosporida infections in wild fish populations and study of the innate immune response of Diplodus puntazzo experimentally infected with Enteromyxum leei, Diamant, Lom & Dykova 1994. PhD thesis. Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Thessaly, Greece, 220p. Citations (self citations): 1 (0).
2. Karapanagiotidis I.T., Psofakis P., Mente E., Malandrakis E.E., Golomazou E. 2018. Effect of fish meal replacement by poultry by-product meal on growth performance, proximate composition, digestive enzyme activity, haematological parameters and gene expression of gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata). Aquaculture Nutrition (in press).
3. Kavouras M., Malandrakis E.E., Golomazou E., Konstantinidis I., Blom E., Palstra A.P., Anastassiadis K., Panagiotaki, P., Exadactylos A. 2018. Hox gene expression profiles during embryonic development of common sole. Animal Biology, 10.1163/15707563-17000123.
4. Golomazou E., Malandrakis E., Kavouras M., Karatzinos T., Miliou H., Exadactylos A., Panagiotaki P. 2016. Anaesthetic and genotoxic effect of medicinal plant extracts in gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata L.). Aquaculture, 464: 673–682. [IF: 2.345].
5. Malandrakis, E.E., Dadali, O., Golomazou E., Kavouras, M., Dailianis S., Chadio, S., Exadactylos, A. and Panagiotaki, P. 2016. Effects of physical stress on DNA integrity, gene expression and blood cortisol in gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata). General and Comparative Endocrinology, 236: 98–104 [IF: 2.821].
6. Golomazou E., Exadactylos A., Malandrakis E.E., Karatzinos T., Gkafas G., Dadali O., Panagiotaki P. 2014. Early diagnosis of enteromyxosis in intensively reared sharpsnout seabream, Diplodus puntazzo. Aquatic Living Resourses, 27(2): 99-106 [IF: 1.230].
7. Malandrakis Ε.Ε, Exadactylos Α., Dadali Ο., Golomazou Ε., Klaoudatos S., Panagiotaki P. 2014. Molecular cloning of four glutathione peroxidase (GPx) homologs and expression analysis during stress exposure of the marine teleost Sparus aurata. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Part B, 168: 53–61 [IF: 1.747]. Citations (self citations): 10 (0).
8. Dimopoulos D., Panagiotaki P., Golomazou E., Malandrakis E., Dadali O., Martsikalis P., Exadaktylos A., Klaudatos S., Neofytou C. 2010. Partial replacement of fresh algae with dry, in intensive seabream larval production. International Aquatic Research, 2: 163-166. Citations (self citations): 1 (0).
9. Golomazou E., Athanassopoulou F., Karagouni E., Kokkokiris L. 2009. The effect of seasonality on health and growth of a newly recorded Myxobolus species, infecting cultured sharpsnout seabream (Diplodus puntazzo C). Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 33(1): 1-5 [IF: 0.332]. Citations (self citations): 5 (0).
10. Muñoz P., Cuesta A., Athanassopoulou F., Golomazou H., Crespo S., Padrós F., Sitza-Bobadilla A., Albiñana G., Esteban MA, Alvarez-Pellitero P. Meseguer J. 2007. Sharpsnout sea bream (Diplodus puntazzo) humoral immune response against the parasite Enteromyxum leei (Myxozoa). Fish and Shellfish Immunology, 23(3): 636-645 [IF: 2.806]. Citations (self citations): 25 (11).
11. Golomazou E., Athanassopoulou F., Karagouni E., Tsagozis P., Tsantilas H., Vagianou S. 2006. Experimental transmission of Enteromyxum leei Diamant, Lom & Dykova, 1994 in sharpsnout sea bream, Diplodus puntazzo C. and the effect on some innate immune parameters. Aquaculture, 260(1-4): 44-53 [IF: 2.055]. Citations (self citations): 29 (2).
12. Golomazou E., Athanassopoulou F., Karagouni E., Vagianou S., Tsantilas H., Karamanis D. 2006. Efficacy and toxicity of orally administrated anti-coccidial drug treatment on Enteromyxum leei infections in sharpsnout seabream (Diplodus puntazzo C.). The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh, 58(3): 157-169 [IF: 0.326]. Citations (self citations): 8 (2).
13. Golomazou E., Athanassopoulou F., Vagianou S., Sabatakou O., Tsantilas H., Rigos G., Kokkokiris L. 2006. Diseases of white sea bream (Diplodus sargus L.) reared in experimental and commercial conditions in Greece. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 30: 389-396 [IF: 0.332]. Citations (self citations): 18 (1).
14. Vagianou S., Athanassopoulou F., Ragias V., Di Cave D., Leontides L., Golomazou Ε. 2006. Prevalence and pathology of ectoparasites of Mediterranean sea bream and sea bass reared under different environmental and aquaculture conditions. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh, 58(2): 78-88 [IF: 0.326]. Citations (self citations): 18 (1).
15. Tsantilas H., Golomazou E., Athanassopoulou F. 2005. Alternative medicine in aquaculture Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 56(3): 249-255 [IF: 0.267].
16. Golomazou E., Karagouni E., Athanassopoulou F. 2005. The most important Myxosporean parasite species affecting cultured Mediterranean fish. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 55(4): 342-352 [IF: 0.267]. Citations (self citations): 16 (4).
17. Georgoulakis I.E., Papazahariadou M., Golomazou E., Theodoridis Y. 2003. Translacteal infection of baby calves, feeder pigs and puppies during lactation. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 54(1): 21-27 [IF: 0.267].
1. Hatziioannou M., Golomazou E. 2015. Blood histology of aquatic vertebrates. In: Hatziioannou M., Vafidis D., in Laboratory histology exercises. Histology of aquatic organisms. Hellenic Academic e-books. Kallipos, 41-46.
2. Golomazou E., Panagiotaki P. 2018. Lymphocystis Disease Virus (LCDV) in aquatic environment, in Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences, Elsevier.