Georgios Hadjigeorgiou, MD, PhD
RESIDENCY: GERMANY – GREECE
COUNTRIES PRACTISED AS A SPECIALIST NEUROSURGEON: USA – DENMARK – UK - GERMANY
• DEPARTMENT OF NEUROSURGERY, ACADEMIC HOSPITAL MUNICH-BOGENHAUSEN, GERMANY
• SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATOR OF THE EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY CYPRUS
• EUROPEAN BOARD CERTIFICATION IN NEUROSURGERY Written Examination by the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS)
• PHD (HON) UNIVERSITY OF THESSALY –FACULTY OF MEDICINE
• 15 PUBLISHED ARTICLES IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS, MORE THAN 60 PRESENTATIONS IN INTERNATIONAL CONGRESSES
• EANS 4-Year Cycle of Training Courses & European Board Certification
• Specialist Registration with license to practice in Germany (Facharzt)
• Specialist Registration with license to practice in the UK (CCT - GMC 7212700)
• Specialist Registration with license to practice in Greece
SPINAL SURGERY – SKULL BASE SURGERY – TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY - NEUROONCOLOGY
• European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS)
• Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
• American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
• General Medical Council (GMC), UK
• AO Spine Society
• Medical Society of Bayern, Germany
• Hellenic Neurosurgical Society
• Medical Society of Athens, Greece
GRANTS - AWARDS
• EANS-Codman Training Grant in Cerebrovascular Surgery, Charité, Berlin, Germany, January-March 2016
• Medtronic Training Grant in Skull Base Surgery, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark, September-December 2015
• “C.Antoniadis Award” by the Greek Neurosurgical Society, for the top score in National Neurosurgical Written Examination, May 2015, Athens, Greece
• Aesculap Training Grant in Minimally Invasive Endoscopic Brain & Skull Base Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, USA, February-May 2015
• Nominated with the “Hellenic Red Cross Organization” Golden Cross, for the total contribution in the patient care and health services. Athens, 2013
• Best Paper Presentation. Presented at 7th International Workshop on Peritoneal Surface Malignancy for the work done regarding the re-cytoreductive surgery (RCRS) and re-HIPEC for peritoneal carcinomatosis recurrence. Uppsala, Sweden. 2010
JOURNAL ARTICLES (in peer reviewed journals)
1. Surgical and Functional Outcome of Olfactory Groove Meningiomas: Lessons from the Past Experience and Strategy Development. Fountas KN, Hadjigeorgiou GF, Kapsalaki EZ, Paschalis T, Rizea R, Ciurea AV Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018 May; [Epub ahead of print]
2. Isolated massive intraventricular haemorrhage without subarachnoid haemorrhage due to rupture of a posterior communicating artery aneurysm. Anagnostopoulos C, Chamilos C, Hadjigeorgiou GF, Petsanas A Br J Neurosurg. 2017 Dec; [Epub ahead of print]
3. Intrachiasmatic abscess caused by IgG4-related hypophysitis. Hadjigeorgiou GF, Lund EL, Poulsgaard L, Feldt-Rasmussen U, Rasmussen ÅK, Wegener M, Fugleholm K
Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2017 Aug 10. doi: 10.1007/s00701-017-3288-8
4. Repeat surgery for recurrent low-grade gliomas should be standard of care. Uppstrom TJ, Singh R, Hadjigeorgiou GF, Magge R, Ramakrishna R Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2016 Dec; 151:18-23. doi: 10.1016/j.clineuro.2016.09.013.
5. Traumatic pneumorrachis after isolated closed head injuries: An up-to-date review. Hadjigeorgiou GF, Singh R, Stefanopoulos PK, Petsanas A, Hadjigeorgiou FG, Fountas K J Clin Neurosci. 2016 Dec; 34:44-46. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2016.07.008
6. Low-grade myofibroblastic sarcoma of the thoracic spine: report of an extreme rare case. Hadjigeorgiou GF, Samaras V, Varsos V Br J Neurosurg. 2016 Aug 18:1-3. doi: 10.1080/02688697.2016.1220505.
7. Intracranial meningioma with vertebral or intraspinal metastasis: report of 2 cases and review of the literature. Singh R, Ryan C, Chohan M, Tisnado J, Hadjigeorgiou GF, Bilsky M J Neurosurg Spine. 2016 Dec; 25(6):775-781. Epub 2016 Jul 15.
8. Traumatic brain injury and gene knockout animal models: an up-to-date review. Hadjigeorgiou GF, Singh R, Dardiotis E, Paterakis K, Hadjigeorgiou GM, Fountas KN.
J Neurosurg Sci. 2017 Dec; 61(6):652-664. doi: 10.23736/S0390-5616.16.03589-X. Epub 2016 Jan 20.
9. AQP4 tag single nucleotide polymorphisms in patients with traumatic brain injury. Dardiotis E, Paterakis K, Tsivgoulis G, Tsintou M, Hadjigeorgiou GF, Dardioti M, Grigoriadis S, Simeonidou C, Komnos A, Kapsalaki E, Fountas K, Hadjigeorgiou G J Neurotrauma, 2014 Dec 1;31(23):1920-6. doi: 10.1089/neu.2014.3347. Epub 2014 Oct 10.
10. Wound ballistics 101: the mechanisms of soft tissue wounding by bullets. Stefanopoulos PK, Pinialidis DE, Hadjigeorgiou GF, Filippakis KN Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2015 Oct 15. DOI: 10.1007/s00068-015-0581-1
11. Wound ballistics of gunshots injuries. Stefanopoulos PK, Pinialidis DE, Hadjigeorgiou GF, Filippakis KN Hellenic Journal of Surgery. 2015. Sept; 87(5):351-356. DOI: 10.1007/s13126-015-0240-3
12. Patients on anticoagulants after a head trauma: is a negative initial CT scan enough? Report of a case of delayed subdural hematoma and review of the literature.
Hadjigeorgiou GF, Anagnostopoulos C, Chamilos C, Petsanas A JKNS. 2014 Jan;55(1):51-3. doi: 10.3340/jkns.2014.55.1.51. Epub 2014 Jan 31.
13. Gunshot wounds: A review of ballistics related to penetrating trauma. Stefanopoulos PK, Hadjigeorgiou GF, Filippakis K, Gyftokostas DJAD, 2014 3(3): 178-85
14. Treatment of refractory simple partial status epilepticus by the addition of oral lacosamide in neurosurgical patients. Report of 3 cases. Hadjigeorgiou G, Petsanas A, Anagnostopoulos C, Chamilos C, Vranos G Epilepsy and Behavior Case Rep J. 2013 May 4; 1:69-70. doi: 10.1016/j.ebcr.2013.03.005
15. Reoperation combining re-cytoreductive surgery and re-HIPEC for recurrent periotoneal carcinomatosis. Spiliotis J, Vaxevanidou A, Halkia E, Hadjigeorgiou G, Datsis A
JBUON. 2012 Jul-Sep;17(3):522-5
16. Rapid spontaneous resolution of acute subdural haematoma in a patient with chronic alcoholism. Hadjigeorgiou G, Chamilos C, Petsanas A, Vranos G, Foteas P, Spiridakis F Br J Neurosurg. 2012. Jun;26(3):415-6. doi: 10.3109/02688697.2011.631619. Epub 2011 Nov 23
JOURNAL ARTICLES (in non- peer reviewed journals)
1. Ependymoma with unusual sudden presentation. Karakaidos D, Antonogeorgos F, Zosi P, Hadjigeorgiou G, Salapata A, Prodromou F, Karis C New Pediatric Chr. 2009: 9,1: 56-60
2. Thyroid function in Growth Hormone Deficiency children after long term treatment with recombinant human Growth Hormone Karakaidos D, Nikitaki Z, Zosi P, Kafalides G, Hadjigeorgiou G, Antonogeorgos G, Karis C Pediatric Chr. 2008; Apr-Jun;8(2):119-123