Mohammed Said ElSheemy, MD
Kasr El-Aini Faculty of Medicine
Cairo University, Egypt
After obtaining his medical degree from Cairo University in 1999, Dr. Mohammed ElSheemy earned a Master of Science then Doctor of Medicine in Urology in 2008. He is currently an Associate Professor of Urology at Cairo University, Egypt. He is a member of the pediatric renal transplantation team that started this program in 2010 in the Aboul-Riche Children hospital, Cairo University.
Based on Dr. ElSheemy research, a surgeon tailored ordinary polypropylene mesh was inserted as a mid-urethral tape for treatment of SUI using his own-designed (with his team) helical passers with marked decrease in the cost of treatment. His research includes also endourology, urolithiasis, SWL, pediatric urology, pediatric renal transplantation, female urology, pelvic floor dysfunctions and urodynamics. An important part of his research was on calcular anuria in children and infants which resulted; for the 1st time, in a protocol for management depending on severity of obstruction, size and site of stones, and renal functions.
He has published several scientific papers and book chapters and serve as an editor and international reviewer in several scientific journals. These research activities was supported by several courses in scientific writing and advanced statistical analysis.
He was selected as one of the top 10% of reviewers in the field of medicine for 2016 in the peer review week (2016) through (Sentinels of Science awards) that is provided by (Publon) which is an international web site concerned with peer review activities (with its verification) for international scientific journals. Then, he was selected as one of the top 1% of reviewers in the next year (2017). Addditionally, His researches were selected as the best poster/abstract in many international conferences including ESPU and EAU.
Dr. ElSheemy is a member of several societies in Urology including European Association of Urology (EAU), European Society for Pediatric Urology (ESPU) and Societe internationale Urologie (SIU). He has served as Assistant-Secretary of Peditric Urology Section of Egyptian Urological Association (EUA).
In addition to research activities, he has a long experience in undergraduate and resident training and teaching.
Female urology and Stress incontinence
Neuro-urology and Voiding Dysfunctions
1- Best poster during the 31st Annual EAU Congress in Munich: 476 Dismembered pyeloplasy in infants < 6 months with and without external trans-anastomotic nephrostent: A prospective randomized study. Poster Session 38: Paediatric urology.
2- Best poster during the 32nd Annual EAU Congress in London: 745 Is second look cystoscopy important after posterior urethral valve ablation in children? Poster Session 55: Paediatric urology 3, Sunday 26 March 2017.
3-Best poster during the 28th Annual Congress of European Society for pediatric Urology (ESPU), Barcelona, Spain, 19th to 22nd April, 2017: Aboul Ela WN, Abdelwahhab M., Ghoneima WE., Shokry A., Shouman A., El Sheemy M., El Ghoniemy M., Abdelmohsen M, Morsi H., Badawy H. S23-1 (LO) COMPARISON OF HOLMIUM LASER TREATMENT OF URETHRAL STRICTURES IN MALE PATIENTS WITH COLD KNIFE ENDOSCOPIC INCISION. Poster Session 55: Saturday 22, April 2017, 11:02 - 11:48.
4- Publons peer review awards 2016: One of the top 10 % of reviewers in the field of medicine.
5- Publons peer review awards 2017: One of the top 1% of reviewers in the field of medicine.
1. “Role of injection therapy in the treatment of female stress urinary incontinence”, essay for the degree of master in urology, faculty of medicine, Cairo university, 2004.
2. “Evaluation Of Prolene Mesh As T.O.T. In The Surgical Treatment Of Female Stress Urinary Incontinence”, thesis for the Medical Doctor Degree In Urology, faculty of medicine, Cairo university, 2007.
3. Ziada AM, Sarhan OM, Habib EI, ElTabie N, El Sheemy M, Morsi HA, ElGhonemy MN, Helmy T, Dawaba M, Ghali A, Eissa MA. Assessment of recoverability of kidney function in children with obstructive calcular anuria: multicenter study. J Pediatr Urol. 2011 Jun;7(3):252-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2011.02.011. Epub 2011 Apr 27.
4. Kotb S, ElSheemy MS, Morsi HA, Zakaria T, Salah M, Eissa MA. Renal recoverability in infants with obstructive calcular anuria: is it better than in older children? J Pediatr Urol. 2013 Dec;9(6 Pt B):1178-82. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2013.05.003. Epub 2013 Jun 12. PubMed PMID: 23769201.
5. Habib EI, Morsi HA, Elsheemy MS, Aboulela W, Eissa MA. Effect of size and site on the outcome of extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy of proximal urinary stones inchildren. J Pediatr Urol. 2013 Jun;9(3):323-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2012.04.003. Epub 2012 Jun 11.
6. Morsi HA, Mursi K, Abdelaziz AY, Elsheemy MS, Salah M, Eissa MA. Renal pelvis reduction during dismembered pyeloplasty: is it necessary? J Pediatr Urol. 2013 Jun;9(3):303-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2012.03.002. Epub 2012 Mar 27.
7. Mursi K, Elsheemy MS, Morsi HA, Ghaleb AA, Abdel-Razzak OM. Semi-rigid ureteroscopy for ureteric and renal pelvic calculi: Predictive factors for complications and success. Arab J Urol. 2013 Jun;11(2):136-141. DOI:10.1016/j.aju.2013.04.008)
8. Elsheemy MS, Maher A, Mursi K, Shouman AM, Shoukry AI, Morsi HA, Meshref A. Holmium:YAG laser ureteroscopic lithotripsy for ureteric calculi in children: predictive factors for complications and success. World J Urol. 2014 Aug;32(4):985-90. doi: 10.1007/s00345-013-1152-x. Epub 2013 Aug 25. PubMed PMID: 23979150.
9. ElSheemy MS. Editorial comment from Dr ElSheemy to extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy for renal stones in pediatric patients: a multivariate analysis model for estimating the stone-free probability. Int J Urol. 2013 Dec;20(12):1210-1. doi: 10.1111/iju.12138. Epub 2013 Mar 15. PubMed PMID: 23490177.
10. Islam and Circumcision, Chapter of book on circumcision “Bolnick DA, Koyle M, Yosha A, editors. Surgical Guide to Circumcision, ed. 1, chapter 24, Springer London, 2012. P. 275-280. ISBN: 978-1-4471-2857-1 (Print) 978-1-4471-2858-8 (Online). DOI 10.1007/978-1-4471-2858-8”
11. ElSheemy MS, Shouman AM, Shoukry AI, ElShenoufy A, Aboulela W, Daw K, Hussein AA, Morsi HA, Badawy H. Ureteric stents vs percutaneous nephrostomy for initial urinary drainage in children with obstructive anuria and acute renal failure due to ureteric calculi: a prospective, randomised study. BJU Int. 2015 Mar;115(3):473-9. doi: 10.1111/bju.12768. Epub 2014 Oct 20. PubMed PMID: 24698195.
12. ElSheemy MS, Shouman AM, Shoukry AI, Soaida S, Salah DM, Yousef AM, Morsi HA, Fadel FI, Sadek SZ. Surgical complications and graft function following live-donor extraperitoneal renal transplantation in children 20 kg or less. J Pediatr Urol. 2014 Aug;10(4):737-43. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2013.12.013. Epub 2014 Jan 15. PubMed PMID: 24495971.
13. ElSheemy MS, Shoukry AI, Shouman AM, ElShenoufy A, Aboulela W, Daw K, Hussein AA, Morsi HA. Management of obstructive calcular anuria with acute renal failure in children less than 4 years in age: a protocol for initial urinary drainage in relation to planned definitive stone management. J Pediatr Urol. 2014 Dec;10(6):1126-32. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2014.04.013. Epub 2014 Jun 8. PubMed PMID: 24953544.
14. ElSheemy MS, Elsergany R, ElShenoufy A. Low-cost transobturator vaginal tape inside-out procedure for the treatment of female stress urinary incontinence using ordinary polypropylene mesh. Int Urogynecol J. 2015 Apr;26(4):577-84. doi: 10.1007/s00192-014-2552-1. Epub 2014 Oct 29. PubMed PMID: 25352073.
15. Aboulela W, ElSheemy MS, Shoukry AI, Shouman AM, ElShenoufy A, Daw K, Morsi HA, Badawy H. Transurethral Holmium Laser Cystolithotripsy in Children: Single Center Experience. J Endourol. 2015 Jun;29(6):661-5. doi: 10.1089/end.2014.0636. Epub 2015 Mar 31. PubMed PMID: 25754728.
16. ElSheemy MS, Fathy H, Hussein HA, Hussein EA, Hassan SM. Surgeon-tailored polypropylene mesh as a needleless single-incision sling versus TVT-O for the treatment of female stress urinary incontinence: a comparative study. Int Urol Nephrol. 2015 Jun;47(6):937-44. doi: 10.1007/s11255-015-0974-4. Epub 2015 Apr 22. PubMed PMID: 25899765.
17. ElSheemy MS, Fathy H, Hussein HA, Elsergany R, Hussein EA. Surgeon-tailored polypropylene mesh as a tension-free vaginal tape-obturator versus original TVT-O for the treatment of female stress urinary incontinence: a long-term comparative study. Int Urogynecol J. 2015 Oct;26(10):1533-40. doi: 10.1007/s00192-015-2725-6..
18. Mohammed S. ElSheemy, Hisham Ghamrawy, Hesham Fathy, Hussein A. Hussein, Eman A. Hussein, Ahmed Aly, Sherif Abdel Rahman. Use of surgeon-tailored polypropylene mesh as a needle-less single-incision sling for treating female stress urinary incontinence: Preliminary results. Arab J Urol. 2015 Sep;13(3):191-8. doi:10.1016/j.aju.2015.04.003.
19. Saad IR, Habib E, Elsheemy MS, Abdel-Hakim M, Sheba M, Mosleh A, Salah DM, Bazaraa H, Fadel FI, Morsi HA, Badawy H. Outcome of Living Donor Renal Transplantation in Children with Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction: A Comparative Retrospective Study. BJU Int. 2016 Aug;118(2):320-6. doi: 10.1111/bju.13347. Epub 2015
20. Shoukry AI, Abouela WN, ElSheemy MS, Shouman AM, Daw K, Hussein AA, Morsi H, Mohsen MA, Badawy H, Eissa M. Use of holmium laser for urethral strictures in pediatrics: A prospective study. J Pediatr Urol. 2016 Feb;12(1):42.e1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2015.06.016. Epub 2015 Aug 11.
21. Daw K, Shouman AM, Elsheemy MS, Shoukry AI, Aboulela W, Morsi HA, Badawy H, Eissa MA. Outcome of Mini-Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy for Renal Stones in Infants and Preschool Children: A Prospective study. Urology. 2015 Nov;86(5):1019-26. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2015.08.019. Epub 2015 Sep 2.
22. El-Sheemy M.S., A.M. Shouman, A.I. Shoukry, W. Aboulela, K. Daw, A.A. Hussein, H.A. Morsi. 556 Selection criteria for initial urinary drainage in relation to definitive stone management in obstructive calcular anuria with acute renal failure in children less than 4 years in age. European Urology Supplements 2014; 1(13):e556-e556a
23. M Elsheemy, A Maher, Hammoud K Mursi, A Shouman, A Shoukry, H Morsi, A Meshref. 1030 Holmium: YAG laser ureteroscopic lithotripsy for ureteric calculi in children: Predictive factors for complications and success. European Urology Supplements 2014;1(13):e1030-e1030a
24. ElSheemy MS. Surgical aspects of pediatric renal transplantation: A mini review. Egyptian Journal of Urology 2016;21(2):83-89
25. Soaida SM, ElSheemy MS, Shouman AM, Shoukry AI, Morsi HA, Salah DM, Fadel FI, Bazaraa HM.Caudal extradural catheterization in pediatric renal transplant and its effect on perioperative hemodynamics and pain scoring: a prospective randomized study. J Anesth. 2016 Feb;30(1):47-54. doi: 10.1007/s00540-015-2087-8. Epub 2015 Oct 22.
26. Ahmed Shoukry, Mahmoud Ragab, Mohamed El Sheemy, Ahmed Shouman, Wasim Abouella, Karim Daw, Mohamed El Ghonimy, Hisham El Ghamrawy, Hani Morsi, Hisham Badawy. MP56-09 UPPER URINARY TRACT AFFECTION AFTER MANAGEMENT OF BLADDER EXSTROPHY A LONG-TERM FOLLOW UP. April 2016Volume 195, Issue 4, Supplement, Pages e747–e748
27. Mohamed El Sheemy, Ahmed Shouman, Ahmed Shoukry, Wasim Abouella, Karim Daw, Mohamed El Ghoneimy, Hani Morsi, Hisham Badawy. MP32-03 Risk factors for urological complications following living donor renal transplantation in Children. J Urol April 2016; 195(4) Supplement :e428–e429
28. Mohammed ElSheemy, Ahmed Shouman, Kareem Daw, Ahmed Shoukry, Waseem Aboulela, Mohamed El Ghoneimy, Hany Morsi, Hesham Badawy. MP33-08 Predicting factors for complications and stone clearance following pediatric mini¬percutaneous nephrolithotomY. J Urol April 2016; 195(4) Supplement:e439
29. El-Sheemy MS*, Shouman AM, Shoukry AI, Aboulela W, Daw K, El Ghoneimy M, Morsi HA, Badawy H. 717 Risk factors for urological complications following living donor renal transplantation in children. European Urology Supplements 2016;15(3):e717-e717a
30. El-Sheemy MS*, Shouman AM, Nasser FM, Lotfy A. 476 Dismembered pyeloplasy in infants < 6 months with and without external trans-anastomotic nephrostent: A prospective randomized study. European Urology Supplements March 2016;15(3) : e476
31. Elsheemy MS, Daw K, Habib E, Aboulela W, Fathy H, Shouman AM, El Ghoneimy M, Shoukry AI, Morsi HA, Badawy H. Lower Calyceal and Renal Pelvic Stones in Preschool Children: A Comparative study of Mini-Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy versus Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy. Int J Urol. 2016 Jul;23(7):564-70. doi: 10.1111/iju.13093. Epub 2016 May 13.
32. Abdel Hakim MA1, Abdalla AA1, Saad IR1, ElSheemy MS1, El Feel AS1, Salem HK1, Abdel Hakim AM1. Internal versus external ureteric stents for uretero-ileal anastomosis after laparoscopic radical cystectomy with orthotopic neobladder: A prospective comparative study. Arab J Urol. 2016 May 19;14(2):136-42. doi: 10.1016/j.aju.2016.03.005.
33. Al-Kandari AM, Kehinde EO, Khudair S, Ibrahim H, ElSheemy MS, Shokeir AA. Intermittent Testicular Torsion in Adults: An Overlooked Clinical Condition. Med Princ Pract. 2017;26(1):30-34. doi: 10.1159/000450887. Epub 2016 Sep 19.
34. Nasser FM, Shouman AM, ElSheemy MS, Lotfi MA, Aboulela W, El Ghoneimy M, Abdelwahab M, Shoukry AI, Ghoneima W, Morsi H, Badawy H. Dismembered Pyeloplasy in Infants Six Months Old or Younger with and Without External Trans-Anastomotic Nephrostent: a Prospective Randomized Study. Urology. 2017 Mar;101:38-44. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2016.09.024. Epub 2016 Sep 28.
35. Khadgi S, Shrestha B, Ibrahim H, Shrestha S, ElSheemy MS, Al-Kandari AM. Mini-percutaneous nephrolithotomy for stones in anomalous-kidneys: a prospective study. Urolithiasis. 2017 Aug;45(4):407-414. doi: 10.1007/s00240-016-0926-1. Epub 2016 Oct 4.
36. ElSheemy MS, Ghoneima W, Abdelwahhab M, Aboulela W, Daw K, Shouman AM, Shoukry AI, El Ghoneimy M, Morsi HA, Badawy H. The role of voiding cystourethrography in asymptomatic unilateral isolated ureteropelvic junction obstruction: A retrospective study. J Pediatr Urol. 2017 Apr;13(2):206.e1-206.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2016.10.018. Epub 2016 Nov 24.
37. ElSheemy MS. Reply by the Authors.Urology. 2017 Mar;101:171-172. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2016.11.006. Epub 2016 Nov 11.
38. Ibrahim H, Ghoneima W, Mosharafa A, Habib E, Fathy H, ElSheemy MS. Semi-rigid ureteroscopy versus open ureterolithotomy for management of large upper ureteric stones: a comparative study. Egyptian Journal of Urology 2016;22(1):29-36.
39. ElSheemy MS. Native Nephrectomy in Relation to Pediatric Renal Transplantation. JOJ uro & nephron 2016;1(2): Mini Review
40. Abdelhamid MH, Zayed AS, Ghoneima WE, Elmarakbi AA, El Sheemy MS, Aref A, Abdelbary A, Nour HH. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to compare solifenacin versus trospium chloride in the relief of double-J stent-related symptoms. World J Urol. 2017 Jan 3. doi: 10.1007/s00345-016-1988-y. [Epub ahead of print]
41. A. Elmarakbi, W. Ghoneima, M. Elsheemy, H. Ibrahim, E. Habib, S. Khadgi, S. Shrestha, A. Al-Kandari. 556 - Outcome of mini versus standard percutaneous nephrolithotomy for renal stones. European Urology Supplements, Volume 16, Issue 3, March 2017, Pages e962-e965
42. Aboul Ela M. Nabil W., Nabil W., Ghoneima W.E., Abdel Ghany M., Emran A., Sadek Zamel S., Abdelwahhab M., Shouman A., Shokry A., El Sheemy M., El Ghoniemy M., Morsi H., Badawy H. 745 Is second look cystoscopy important after posterior urethral valve ablation in children? European Urology Supplements, Volume 16, Issue 3, March 2017, Page e1287.
43. ElSheemy MS, Ghoneima W, Aboulela W, Daw K, Shouman AM, Shoukry AI, Soaida S, Salah DM, Bazaraa H, Fadel FI, Hussein AA, Habib E, Saad IR, El Ghoneimy M, Morsi HA, Lotfi MA, Badawy H. Risk factors for urological complications following living donor renal transplantation in children. Pediatr Transplant. 2017 Oct 29. doi: 10.1111/petr.13083. [Epub ahead of print]
44. GamalEl Din SF, Rashed LA, Alghobary HA, Tawfik LT, ElSheemy MS. Are the Cavernous Tissue and Serum Levels of Micro RNAs 200a and 206 Elevated in Patients With Refractory Veno-occlusive Erectile Dysfunction? A Comparative Study. Urology. 2017 Oct;108:108-113. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2017.07.020. Epub 2017 Jul 26.