Prem KumarSeelam, DSc
Faculty of Technology
University of Oulu
I’m experienced researcher with doctoral degree (D.Sc.(Tech.)) in Chemical & Process Engineering with 5 yrs postdoctoral and 2 yrs industrial R & D experience in catalysts design, chemical processes and product development for various industrial applications. Published more than 20 journal papers and 6 book chapters in reputed journals and book publishers with H index 8, Citations 280 (Google Scholar).
Over 9 years experience in heterogeneous catalysis & chemical reaction engineering.
Specialised research areas: experimental work on:
a. Catalyst preparation methods, materials characterization, catalyst activity & stability studies.
b. Membrane reactor (MR) studies using dense Pd-based MR for reaction/separation/purification H2.
I worked on catalyst design and development for the model reactions such as biomass valorisation (glycerol & levulinic acid), CO2 methanation, steam & dry reforming of methane & alcohols, lactose oxidation and isomerization of alkanes.
Synthesis of commercial type zeolite based catalysts for clean diesel fuel & lubricants upgrading.
Mainly working on sustainable energy development, air pollution control & biofuels processing.
Published 19 peer-reviewed articles – (14 journal papers, 5 book chapters, H index 8: google scholar)
Delivered multiple international & domestic oral & poster presentations during 2008-2016.
Notable Conferences: Notable Conference presentations: Oral (NaMiBiTech, Morocco), Oral (Zing FC, USA), Oral (SkyPro, Finland), Oral (CCESC2012, Spain), Oral (Cost Action 543, UK), Poster (19th WHEC, Canada), Poster (ICCMR10, Russia) & Poster (Nordic symposium, Finland).
Research exchange visits to China (4 months in 2016-17), China (3 months in 2014), Morocco (2014 for 21 days), India (workshops, visits in 2011-12) & Italy (3 months in 2009, 4 months in 2011).
Editorial board member & Peer reviewer for the scientific journals.
Scopus Author ID: 23052456700
Hydrogen production technologies
Steam and dry reforming of hydrocarbons
Biomass valorisation via Hydrogenolysis
Chemical process technology
Magnus Ehrnrooth foundation for a postdoctoral research grant for one year in 2016-17.
Tekniikan Edistamissäätio competitive grant for finishing doctoral studies in 2013.
Tauno Tönningin competitive doctoral research grants in 2011 and 2010.
Finnish cultural foundation competitive travel grant to Italy in 2011.
EST (graduate school) Finland awarded competitive fellowship for 2 years (2011-2012).
STSM competitive grant award in EU exchange visit to Italy under COST Action-543 (2009).
Fortum Foundation Finland competitive PG studies grant for 2 years (2008-2009).
1. H. Mitta, P. K. Seelam, K. V. R. Chary, S. Mutyala, R. Boddula, Inamuddin, A. M. Asiri. Efficient Vapor‐Phase Selective Hydrogenolysis of Bio‐ Levulinic Acid to γ‐ Valerolactone Using Cu Supported on Hydrotalcite Catalysts. Global Challenges 1800028, 2018.
2. S. Aouad, M. Labaki, S. Ojala, P.K. Seelam, E. Turpeinen, C. Gennequin, J. Estephane, E. Aad. Chapter: A review on the catalytic dry reforming for hydrogen production, in Frontiers in Ceramic Science, Vol 2, Ed. by Dr. Cesario, Dr. Gennequin, & Prof. Macedo. Bentham Science, 69-128, 2018.
3. H. Mitta, P.K. Seelam, S. Ojala, R.L. Keiski, P. Kumar. Tuning Y-zeolite Based Catalyst with Copper for Enhanced Activity and Selectivity in Vapor Phase Hydrogenolysis of Glycerol to 1,2-Propanediol. Applied Catalysis: A General 550, 308-319, 2018.
4. M. Huuhtanen, P.K. Seelam, R.L. Keiski. Ni and Cu based catalysts in methanol and ethanol steam reforming: in H2 production and separation/purification, edited by A. Basile, F. Dalena, J. Tong, N. Veziroglu, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, 103-117, 2017.
5. P.K. Seelam, A.-R. Rautio, M. Huuhtanen, K. Kordás, R.L. Keiski. Low temperature steam reforming of ethanol over advanced carbon nanotube based catalysts. Green Processing Synthesis, 4, 355-368, 2015.
6. A.-R. Rautio, P.K. Seelam, P. Mäki-Arvela, M. Huuhtanen, R.L. Keiski, K. Kordas. Carbon supported catalysts in low temperature steam reforming of ethanol: Study of catalyst performance. RSC Advances 5, 49487-49492, 2015.
7. S. Ojala, N. Koivikko, T. Laitinen, A. Mouammine, P.K. Seelam, S. Azalim, K. Ainassaari, R. Brahmi, R.L. Keiski. Utilization of volatile organic compounds as an alternative for destructive abatement. Catalysts 5, 1092-1151, 2015.
8. A. Drif, N. Bion, R. Brahmi, S. Ojala, E. Turpeinen, P.K. Seelam, L. Pirault-Roy, R.L. Keiski, F. Epron. Study of the dry reforming of methane and ethanol using Rh catalysts supported on doped alumina. Applied Catalysis A: General 504, 576-584, 2015.
9. R. Keiski, T. Kolli, P.K. Seelam, K. Shafqat, A. Valtanen, M. Huuhtanen. Photocatalytic conversion of alcohols in Alcohols and bio-alcohols: characteristics, production and use (ed.) Dr. A. Basile and F. Dalena, Nova Publishers, 1-20, 2014.
10.R. Keiski, M. Huuhtanen, P. Satu, P.K. Seelam, E. Turpeinen, R. Koskinen. CO2 Conversion to Synthetic Natural Gas (SNG) in CO2 Capture & Conversion Program, TCGR, 53-74, Oct 2013.
11.P.K. Seelam, M. Huuhtanen, R. Keiski. Microreactors and membrane microreactors: fabrication and application in Handbook of Membrane reactors (ed.) Dr. A.Basile, Woodhead publisher vol 2, 188-235, 2013.
12.M. Huuhtanen, P.K. Seelam, E. Turpeinen, R. Keiski. Advances in catalysts for membrane reactors, in Handbook of Membrane reactors (ed.) Dr. A. Basile, Woodhead publisher, vol. I, 401-432, 2013.
13.P.K. Seelam, S. Liguori, A. Iulianelli, P. Pinacci, V. Calabrò, M. Huuhtanen, R. Keiski, V. Piemonte, S. Tosti, M. Falco, A. Basile. Hydrogen production from bio-ethanol steam reforming reaction in a Pd/PSS membrane reactor, Catalysis Today 193, 42-48, 2012.
14.S. Liguori, P. Pinacci, P.K. Seelam, R. Keiski, V. Calabrò, A. Basile, A. Iulianelli. Performance of a Pd/PSS membrane reactor to produce high purity hydrogen via WGS reaction, Catalysis Today 193, 87-94, 2012.
15.A. Iulianelli, P.K. Seelam, S. Liguori, T. Longo, R. Keiski, V. Calabrò, A. Basile. Hydrogen production for PEM fuel cell gas phase reforming of glycerol as byproduct of bio-diesel use of a Pd-Ag membrane reactor at middle reaction temperature, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36, 3827-3834, 2011.
16.P.K. Seelam, M. Huuhtanen, A. Sápi, K. Kordás, M. Szabó, E. Turpeinen, R. L. Keiski. CNT-based catalysts for hydrogen production by ethanol reforming, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35, 12588-12595, 2010.
17.A. Iulianelli, T. Longo, S. Liguori, P.K. Seelam, R.L. Keiski and A. Basile. Oxidative steam reforming of ethanol over Ru/Al2O3 catalyst in a dense Pd-Ag membrane reactor to produce hydrogen for PEM fuel cells, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34, 8558-8565, 2009.
18.A.V. Tokarev, E.V. Murzina, P.K. Seelam, N. Kumar, D.Yu. Murzin. Influence of surface acidity in lactose oxidation supported Pd catalyst 4 4
19.N. Kumar, O. Russu, P.K. Seelam, T. Heikkilä, V-P. Lehto, H. Karhu, T. Salmi, D.Yu. Murzin. Pt-modified MCM-22, ZSM-5 and beta zeolite catalysts for n-butane isomerization: influence of structure, acidity and Pt modification. Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis 172, 153-156, 2007.
PUBLICATIONS INTENDED FOR PROFESSIONAL COMMUNITIES (2017-2009)
1. P.K. Seelam, H. Sreenivasan, S. Pitkäaho, S. Ojala, R. Keiski, M. Illikainen.Overview and Insight on Geopolymer based Heterogeneous Catalytic Materials (oral) in STEPsCON 2018 - International Scientific Conference on Sustainability and Innovation, Leverkusen, Germany, 7 Dec 2018.
2. P.K. Seelam, Low temperature steam reforming of ethanol over CNT-based catalysts (oral) in NaMiBiTech conference, Akhawayn University Ifrane, Morocco, 26-28 Oct 2014.
3. P.K. Seelam, in-situ FT-IR spectroscopic studies on CO2/CH4 adsorption & reaction studies. (oral) NoWaste project: Marie Curie FP7 workshop, Chouaib Doukkali University, El Jadida, Morocco, Oct 2014.
4. S. Ojala, K. Ainassaari, T. Laitinen, N. Koivikko, A. Mouammine, E. Turpeinen, P.K. Seelam, R. Keiski, et al. No-Waste –project – Environmental applications for waste and emissions. Nano Micro and Bio Technology Conference (Poster), Ifrane, Morocco, 27 Oct 2014.
5. P.K. Seelam, A.-R. Leino, M. Huuhtanen, K. Kordas, R.L. Keiski. Renewable hydrogen from ethanol: Reforming at low temperatures over Ni supported catalysts, SkyPro Conference for clean air technologies, oral and book of abstracts, p. 27–30, University of Oulu, 12 Nov 2013.
6. P.K. Seelam, M. Huuhtanen, R.L. Keiski. Renewable Hydrogen from Ethanol Reforming at Mild Temperature over Ni Supported ZSM-5 Catalysts (accepted as oral but not presented), Zing Conferences: Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Conference, Napa Valley, California, USA, 12-15 Jul 2013.
7. P.K. Seelam, N. Cochin, E. Turpeinen, A.-R. Leino, K. Kordas, M. Huuhtanen, R.L. Keiski. Novel bimetallic NiPt/CNT and NiZnO/CNT catalysts for Bio-Ethanol Steam Reforming, International Symposium on Catalysis for Clean Energy Sustainable Chemistry (CCESC2012) O-08 (oral), Madrid, Spain, 27-29 Jun 2012.
8. P.K. Seelam, N. Cochin, E. Turpeinen, A. Leino, K. Kordas, M. Huuhtanen, R.L. Keiski. Novel bimetallic NiPt/CNT and NiZnO/CNT catalysts for bioethanol steam reforming, 15 Nordic Symposium on Catalysis (poster), P-45, book of abstracts, Mariehamn, Finland, 10-12 Jun 2012.
9. P.K. Seelam, Novel Ni/CNT catalysts for Bio-Ethanol Steam Reforming: Effect of Pt and ZnO addition (Session young scientist: abstract accepted as poster but not presented), 19th World Hydrogen Energy Conference, Toronto, Canada, 3-7 Jun 2012.
10.R.L. Keiski, P.K. Seelam, E. Turpeinen, M. Huuhtanen. Hydrogen production by steam reforming of alcohols over CNT-based catalysts for fuel cell applications, 1st Int. Symposium Intermetallic Compounds in Methanol Steam Reforming (oral), Berlin, Germany, 18-20 Sep 2011.
11.P.K. Seelam, S. Liguori, A. Iulianelli, P. Pinacci, V. Calabrò, M. Huuhtanen, R. Keiski, V. Piemonte, A. Basile. Hydrogen production from bio-ethanol, steam reforming reaction in a PSS supported palladium membrane reactor, PS-19, p. 154-155, Book of abstracts and poster presentation at ICCMR10 Conference, St. Petersburg/Russia, 20-24 Jun 2011.
12.A. Iulianelli, S. Liguori, P.K. Seelam, P. Pinacci, V. Calabrò, R. Keiski, A. Basile. An outlook on hydrogen production from ethanol reforming reactions through inorganic membrane reactor technology, COST Action 543 final evaluation, Budapest, Hungary, 10-13 May 2011.
13.P.K. Seelam, poster and oral presentation on Hydrogen Production from Steam Reforming of Bio-derived Alcohols for Fuel Cell Applications at Graduate School of Energy Science and Technology (EST) annual seminar, Jyväskylä, 8-9 Dec 2010.
14.P.K. Seelam, poster and oral presentation on Hydrogen Production from Steam Reforming of Bio-derived Alcohols for Fuel Cell Applications at Graduate School of Energy Science and Technology (EST) annual seminar, Jyväskylä, 8-9 Dec 2010.
15.M. Huuhtanen, P.K. Seelam, A. Avila, E. Turpeinen, A. Leino, M. Wu, A. Sapi, Z. Konya, K. Kordás, R.L. Keiski. H2 production from bio-based materials by photocatalysis and steam reforming, SkyPro Conference for clean air technologies, in Northern Finland, book of abstracts, p. 82–84, University of Oulu, 3 Jun 2010.
16.A. Iulianelli, P.K. Seelam, T. Longo, S. Liguori, M. Huuhtanen, R. Keiski, A. Basile. Hydrogen from glycerol steam reforming in a dense Pd-Ag membrane reactor: first experimental results (Oral by Iulianelli), ESF COST 543 Workshop, ENEA Frascati Research Center, Rome, Italy, 9-10 Mar 2009. 5 5
17.M. Huuhtanen, P.K. Seelam, E. Turpeinen, K. Kordás, R.L. Keiski. Hydrogen production by bio-ethanol reforming for small-scale fuel cell applications in Paukkeri A, Ylä-Mella J & Pongracz E (eds.) Energy Research at the University of Oulu, Proceedings of the EnePro Conference, p. 24-27, 3 June 2009.
18.A. Iulianelli, P.K. Seelam, T. Longo, S. Liguori, R. Keiski, V. Calabrò, A. Basile. Hydrogen production for PEM fuel cell by gas phase reforming of glycerol as a byproduct of bio-diesel. 3rd European Fuel Cell Technology and Applications, EFC09 Congress, Rome (Italy) Proceedings: p. 267-268, 15-18 Dec 2009.
19.M. Huuhtanen, E. Turpeinen, P.K. Seelam, K. Kordás, R.L. Keiski. CNT based catalysts for H2 production by bioethanol reforming, EUROPACAT IX Congress, Conference publication, Catalysis for a sustainable world, p. 1-2, Salamanca, pain, 1 Sep 2009.