Sally Anne Mullany, MD
University of Minnesota
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Women’s Health
Division of Gynecologic Oncology
420 Delaware Street, SE, MMC 395
Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
B.S. Chem Creighton University
M.D. Creighton University
Ob/Gyn Residency Mayo Clinic
Gyn Onc Fellowship: Mayo Clinic
Assistant Professor Gyn Onc: Wake Forest University Medical Center, NC
Assistant Professor Gyn Onc and Gyn Onc Fellowship Program Director, University of Minnesota (current)
Morbidly Adherant placenta
Preinvasive gynecologic disease
Memberships and Offices in Professional Organizations
European Society of Gynecologic Oncolgy 2017-Present
Society of Gynecologic Oncologist: Candidate 2005-Present
American Society of Clinical Oncology: Associate 2005-Present
American College of Surgeons 2005-Present
Resident & Associate Society
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) 2001-Present
Association of Women Surgeons 1999-2005
American Medical Association 1996-Present
HONORS AND AWARDS
University of Minnesota
Excellence in Teaching Award 2011-2012
From Gynecologic Oncology fellows, University of Minnesota
Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine
Resident Teaching Award 2009-2010
From the Ob/Gyn Residents of Wake Forest University Medical Center
Ann Harris Research Award 6/2005
Obstetrics & Gynecology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP
GRANTS AND CONTRACTS – EXTERNAL SOURCES
1. Principal Investigator
US Biotest, Inc
Phase II Study of Four Concentrations of Intraperitoneal NanoPac plus Six Cycles of IV
Carboplatin and Paclitaxel in Patients with Platinum-Sensitive Recurrent Stage III Epithelial
Ovarian Cancer Undergoing Second Cytoreductive Surgery
12/15/2016 – 12/30/2021
Ovarian Cancer Research Fund – Liz Tilberis Award
Precision Medicine in Ovarian Cancer: Using Single Cell Analysis
PI: Dr. Boris Winterhoff
02/01/2017 – 01/31/2020
1. Co-Investigator (Wake Forest Site):
RTOG 0921 A phase II study of postoperative intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
with concurrent cisplatin and bevacizumab followed by carboplatin and paclitaxel for patients
with endometrial cancer
January 2011 to July 2011
2. Principle Investigator (Wake Forest Site):
A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, multi-center, phase II study of adding AMG
479, a fully human monoclonal antibody against insulin-like growth factor type 1 receptor
(IGF-1R) to first line chemotherapy in patients with optimally debulked ( < 1 cm ) epithelial
ovarian cancer TRIO014/CCCWFU 83210
August 2010 to July 2011
3. Grant Award:
Pilot Project Grant Award from Fraternal Order of Eagles Cancer Research Fund, Mayo Clinic
Cancer Center for: The Expression of the Functional Significance of HtrA1 in Endometrial
Cancer. July 2006
GRANTS AND CONTRACTS – UNIVERSITY SOURCES
University of Minnesota Grand Challenges
Development of a clinical precision medicine program in ovarian cancer as a paradigm for 21st
century tailored health care solution
PI: Dr. Boris Winterhoff
09/01/2016 – 08/31/2017
1. Khalifa MA, Salama S, Vogel RI, Klein ME, Richter J, Pulver T, Mullany SA,
Winterhoff B. Assessment of the Intraoperative Consultation Service Rendered by
General Pathologists in a Scenario Where a Well-Defined Decision Algorithm Is
Followed. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 Mar 1;147(3):322-326. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqw223.
2. Winterhoff BJ, Maile M, Mitra AK, Sebe A, Bazzaro M, Geller MA, Abrahante JE, Klein
M, Hellweg R, Mullany SA, Beckman K, Daniel J, Starr TK.Single cell sequencing
reveals heterogeneity within ovarian cancer epithelium and cancer associated stromal
cells. Gynecol Oncol. 2017 Mar;144(3):598-606. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2017.01.015.
Epub 2017 Jan 19. PMID: 28111004
3. Dickson EL, Stockwell E, Geller MA, Vogel RI, Mullany SA, Ghebre R, Witherhoff BJ,
Downs LS Jr, Carson LF, Teoh D, Glasgow M, Gerber M, Rivard C, Erickson BK,
Hutchins J, Argenta PA. Enhanced Recovery Program and Length of Stay After
Laparotomy on a Gynecologic Oncology Service: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Obstet
Gynecol. 2017 Feb;129(2):355-362. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000001838.
4. Uppendahl L, Mullany SA, Winterhoff B. Molecular characterization of endometrial
cancer and therapeutic implications. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Feb;29(1):35-39.
doi: 10.1097/GCO.0000000000000342. Review. PMID: 27941362
5. Argenta PA, Ballman KV, Geller MA, Carson LF, Ghebre R, Mullany SA, Teoh DG,
Winterhoff BJ, Rivard CL, Erickson BK The effect of photobiomodulation on
chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: A randomized, sham-controlled clinical
trial. Gynecol Oncol. 2017 Jan;144(1):159-166. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2016.11.013. Epub
2016 Nov 22. PMID:27887804
6. Vogel RI, Pulver T, Heilmann W, Mooneyham A, Mullany S, Zhao X, Shahi M, Richter
J, Klein M, Chen Liqiang, Ding R, Konecny G, Kommoss S, Winterhoff B, Ghebre R,
Bazzaro M. USP14 is a predictor of recurrence in endometrial cancer and a molecular
target for endometrial cancer treatment. Oncotarget. 2016 May 24;7(21):30962-76.. Doi:
10.18632/oncotarget.8821 [Epub ahead of print 2016 Apr 18] PMID: 27121063
7. Hutchins J, Delaney D, Vogel RI, Ghebre RG, Downs LS Jr, Carson L, Mullany S, Teoh
D, Geller MA. Ultrasound Guided Subcostal Transversus Abdominis Plane (TAP)
Infiltration with Liposomal Bupivacaine for Patients Undergoing Robotic Assisted
Hysterectomy: A Prospective Randomized Controlled Study. Gynecologic Oncology.
2015 Jun . pii: S0090-8258(15)30029-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2015.06.008. PMID:
8. Winterhoff B, Freyer L, Hammond E, Giri S, Mondal S, Roy D, Teoman A, Mullany SA,
Hoffmann R, von Bismarck A, Chien J, Block MS, Millward M, Bampton D, Dredge K,
Shridhar V. PG545 enhances anti-cancer activity of chemotherapy in ovarian models and
increases surrogate biomarkers such as VEGF in preclinical and clinical plasma samples.
European Journal of Cancer. 2015 May;51(7):879-92. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2015.02.007.
Epub 2015 Mar 5. PMID: 25754234.
9. Mullany SA, Moslemi-Kebria M, Rattan R, Khurana A, Clayton A, Ota T, Mariani A,
Podratz KC, Chien J, Shridhar V. Expression and functional significant of HtrA1 loss in
endometrial cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2011 Feb; 17(3): 427-436. PMID: 21098697
10. Erman-Akar M, Mullany S, Huffman J, Yalcinkaya TM. Early postoperative small bowel
obstruction after laparoscopic myomectomy. Fertil Steril. 2010 Nov; 94(6):2329e9-12.
11. Narit, K, Chien J, Mullany SA, Staub ., Qian X, Lingle WL, Shridhar V. Loss of Hsulf-1
expression enhances autocrine signaling mediated by amphiregulin in breast cancer. J
Biol Chem. 2007 May; 282(19):14413-20. PMID: 17363371
12. Lewis KA, Mullany SA, Thomas B, Chien J, Shridhar V, Cliby WA, Heterozygous ATR
mutations in mismatch repair deficient cancer cells have functional significance. Cancer
Res. 2005 Aug; 65(16):7091-5. PMID: 16103057
13. Dowdy SC, Mullany SA, Brandt K., Huppert BJ, Cliby WA. The utility of computed
tomography scans in predicting suboptimal cytoreductive surgery in women with
advanced ovarian carcinoma. Cancer. 2004 Jul 15; 101(2):346-52. PMID: 15241833
14. Mullany S, Svingen PA, Kaufmann SH, Erlichman C. Effect of adding the topoisomerase
I poison 7-ethyl-10-hydroxycamptothecin (SN-38) to 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid in
HCT-8 cells: elevated dTTP pools and enhanced cytotoxicity. Cancer Chemotherapy
Pharmacol. 1998; 42(5):391-9. PMID: 9771954
1. E. Dickson, S. Mullany. Gestational Trophoblastic Disease. In R. Eskander (Ed), R.
Bristow (Ed.), Gynecologic Oncology, A Pocketbook. Spring, New York. Chapter 5,
Invited Oral Presentations at National Professional Meetings, Conferences, etc.
1. Faculty speaker, Fifth Annual North Carolina Women's Health Symposium. Cervical
Cancer: Update and Current Vaccine Review. AHEC Greensboro,NC, March 2011.
2. Post-graduate course faculty & gross anatomical dissection proctor: Rationale and
Techniques for Extensive Cytoreductive Surgery in the Upper Abdomen. Society of
Gynecologic Oncologists Annual Meeting, March 2011, Orlando, FL.
3. Faculty, Ob/Gyn Resident Didactic Conference. Fertility Preservation in Ovarian Cancer
Management. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, January 2011, Winston-
4. Faculty, Department of Ob/Gyn Grand Rounds. Treatment of Preinvasive Disease of the
Vulva & Vagina. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, January 2011, Winston-
5. Faculty, Department of Ob/Gyn Grand Rounds. Indications for Prophylactic & Risk-
Reducing Bilateral Salpingo-oophorectomy. Wake Forest University School of Medicine,
October 2010, Winston-Salem, NC.
6. Faculty, Ob/Gyn Resident Didactic Conference. Angiogenesis & Anti-Angiogenesis.
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, October 2010, Winston-Salem, NC.
7. Faculty, Fifth Annual Breast Cancer Symposium. Management of Menopausal Symptoms
in Breast Cancer Survivors. Wake Forest University School of Medicine. September
2010, Winston-Salem, NC.
8. Faculty, Gynecologic Oncology Resident Didactic Conference. Management of Early
Uterine Cancer. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, July 2010, Winston-Salem,
9. Faculty, Annual Ob/Gyn Resident Orientation Conference. Anatomy: The Key to
Avoiding Complications. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, July, 2010,
10. Faculty, Hematology/Oncology Fellows Didactic Conference. Gynecologic Oncology
Overview: Surgery & Chemotherapy. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, June
2010, Winston-Salem, NC.
11. Faculty, Department of Ob/Gyn Grand Rounds. Individualized Therapy in Ovarian and
Endometrial Cancer.. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, May 2010, Winston-
12. Faculty, Piedmont Ob/Gyn Society Winter Symposium. Application of Topical
Hemostatic Agents in Surgery. Hickory NC, February 2010.
13. Faculty, Gynecologic Oncology Resident Didactic Conference. Fast-Track Methodology
for Perioperative Care. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, February 2010,
14. Faculty, Gynecologic Oncology Resident Didactic Conference. Gestational Trophoblastic
Disease Overview. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, December 2009,
15. Faculty, Annual Ob/Gyn Resident Orientation Conference. Surgical Site Infections:
Prevention & Management. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, August 2009,
16. Faculty, Gynecologic Oncology Resident Didactic Conference. Introduction to
Chemotherapy: Ca125 Monitoring. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, July
2009, Winston-Salem, NC.
17. Faculty, Gynecologic Oncology Resident Didactic Conference. Introduction to
Chemotherapy: The Platinum Agents. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, May
2009, Winston-Salem, NC.
18. Faculty, Gynecologic Oncology Resident Didactic Conference. Vulvar and Vaginal
Melanoma. Wake Forest University School of Medicine, February 2009, Winston-Salem,
19. Mullany, SA., Weaver, A., Aletti, GD., Agudelo-Suarez, P., Cliby, WA. Malignant
Bowel Obstruction in Advanced Ovarian Cancer: Comparison of Surgical versus
Nonsurgical Management. Oral presentation of the Society of Gynecologic Surgeons
Annual Meeting, April 2008, Savannah, GA.
20. Mullany, S., Moates, M., Jetton, T., Magnuson, MA. Location and Function of Two
Putative Nuclear Localization Sequences in Glucokinase. Oral abstract presentation at the
1998 Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum, Omaha, NE.
Invited Oral Presentation at Local and Regional Professional Meetings, Conferences, etc.
1. Invited Speaker, Women’s Health and OB/GYN Update, Continuing Medical Education
for Primary Care. Pediatric Gynecologic Cancers Park Nicollet Institute, Minneapolis,
MN April 9, 2015.
2. Faculty, Fall Minnesota ACOG Meeting. Including Ova-1 in Preoperative Assessment of
Adnexal Mass. The Depot, Minneapolis, MN, December 2012
3. Faculty, Department of Ob/Gyn Grand Rounds. Application of Hemostatic Agents in
Surgery. University of Minnesota, December 2012
4. Instructor, Medical Student PBL Sessions, Ob/Gyn Clerkship. University of Minnesota,
Sept 2012 to November 2012
5. Faculty, Ob/Gyn Resident Didactic Conference. Treatment of Preinvasive Disease of
Vulva & Vagina. University of Minnesota, August 2012
6. Invited Speaker, Department of Internal Medicine, Health Partners. Review of Selected
Gynecologic Topics. Health Partners Midway Clinic, St. Paul, May 2012
7. Keynote Speaker & Moderator, Department of Ob/Gyn Resident & Fellow Research Day.
Management of Patients Requiring Massive Transfusion. University of Minnesota. May
8. Invited Speaker, Rural Physician Associate Program. Preinvasive Gynecologic Lesions.
University of Minnesota, March 2012
9. Faculty, Gyn Onc Education Conference. Overview of Sex Cord Stromal Tumors.
University of Minnesota, March 2012
10. Faculty, Ovarian Cancer Survivor Course. Recurrent Ovarian Cancer: Chemotherapy.
MOCA & GCF, Edina, MN, November 2011
Poster Abstract Presentations at Professional Meetings, Conferences, etc.
1. Wilhite A, Uppendahl L, Zhang Y, Clark C, Shetty M, Ramesh S, Mullany SA,
Winterhoff B, Starr T. " Single cell sequencing: A descriptive subgroup analysis of
individual tumor cells from 4 patients with ovarian cancer". Society of Gynecologic
Oncology, New Orleans, LA. March 2018.
2. Schefter AM, Uppendahl L, Zhang Y, Clark C, Shetty M, Ramesh S, Felices M, Geller
MA, Mullany SA, Starr T, and Winterhoff B. “Single cell sequencing identifies distinct
immune cell profiles in primary ovarian cancer.” Society of Gynecologic Oncology, New
Orleans, LA. March 2018.
3. Bedell S, Song M, Hellweg R, Wilhite A, Richter J, Wang J, Vogel RI, Mullany SA,
Winterhoff B. “P53 and L1 cell adhesion molecule (L1CAM) protein expression and
mRNA transcriptome analysis in endometrial cancer.” Society of Gynecologic Oncology,
New Orleans, LA. March 2018.
4. Mullany SA, Weaver A, Aletti GD, Agudelo-Suarez P, Cliby WA. Malignant Bowel
Obstruction in Advanced Ovarian Cancer: Comparison of Surgical versus Nonsurgical
Management. Oral presentation at the Society of Gynecologic Surgeons Annual Meeting,
April 2008, Savannah, GA.
5. Mullany SA., Aletti GD., Cliby WA., Gostout BS. Elevated Serum CA125 and Ascites
Are Common in Ovarian Fibromas and Fibrothecomas. Poster presentation at the
Western Association of Gynecologic Oncologists Annual Meeting, June 2007, Sunriver,
6. Mullany SA., Chien J., Mariani A., Clayton AC., Podratz KC., Shridhar V. Expression
and Functional Significance of HtrA1 in Endometrial Cancer. Poster presentation at
Society of Gynecologic Oncologists Annual Meeting, March 2006, Palm Springs, CA.
7. Mullany, SA., Keeney, GL., Cliby WA. C-Kit Expression in Gynecologic Malignancies.
Poster presentation at the Western Association of Gynecologic Oncologists Annual
Meeting, June 2005, Santa Fe, NM.
8. Mullany, SA., Marnach, ML., Watson, WJ., Vasdev GM. Peripartum Management of
Fulminant Colitis. Poster presentation at the Society of Obstetric Anesthesia and
Perinatology Annual Meeting, May 2005, Palm Desert, CA.
9. Lewis, KA., Mullany, SA., Thomas, B., Chien, J., Shridhar, V., Cliby, WA. ATR
mutations in mismatch repair (MMR) deficient endometrial cancer cells have functional
significance. Poster presentation at the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists Annual
Meeting, March 2005.
10. Netzel, P., Tummon, I., Mullany, SA., Michael, JM. Tobacco Smoking, Assisted
Reproduction, and Live Birth: Mayo Clinic 1993-2002. Poster presentation 18th World
Congress on Fertility and Sterility, May 2004, Montreal, Canada.
11. Mullany S, Moates M, Jetton T, Magnuson MA. Location and Function of Two Putative
Nuclear Localization Sequences in Glucokinase. Oral abstract presentation at the 1998
Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum, Omaha, NE.