Sean M. Richards, PhD
UC Foundation Professor
UTC Council of Scholars
Biological and Environmental Sciences
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Chattanooga, TN, 37403
Environmental Health Research
Human Exposure to PAHs and Metals: Since 2002 Dr. Richards’ lab has investigated the potential for toxicant exposure to people living in Chattanooga. This was initially facilitated by the first NIEHS grant awarded to UTC. That grant was used to investigate the potential for PAH and metal exposure and effects to Chattanoogans from Chattanooga Creek. Chattanooga Creek runs through the city of Chattanooga and is contaminated with legacy industrial pollution. Many people live around the creek and are potentially exposed to toxicants from Chattanooga Creek. Dr. Richards’ laboratory (in conjunction with Southern Illinois University) determined the types of compounds present and the potential for effects in humans. This work was facilitated by high pressure liquid chromatography (PAH quantitation) and atomic absorption spectroscopy (metal quantitation) and by measuring biomarkers of exposure in small mammals inhabiting the floodplains of Chattanooga Creek. These data were then used to estimate likelihood of exposure and effects through probabilistic risk assessments.
Low Birth Weight Correlations to Pollution Exposure: Hamilton County, TN has a relative high incidence of low birth weight (full-term infants with a birth weight below 2500 g). Dr. Richards has partnered with Ms. Colleen Mikelson (UTC BGE), Dr. Dave Adair (Regional Obstetrical Consultants), Dr. Peggy Kovach (UTC BGE), Dr. Richard Miller (University of Rochester Medical Center), Dr. Steve Symes (UTC Chemistry Department), and Dr. Jacopo Troisi (Università degli studi di Salerno, Italy), to investigate the potential for toxicants to influence 11BHSD2 expression and low birth weight in Hamilton County infants. To date >1000 placentae have been collected from Hamilton County mothers and quantified for concentrations of PAHs, PCBs, BPA, and numerous metals.
R. Chianese*#, J. Troisi*#, S. Richards#, M. Scafuro, S. Fasano1, M. Guida, R. Pierantoni, R. Meccariello. 2018. Bisphenol A in reproduction: epigenetic effects.
Current Medicinal Chemistry.25: 1-23
#These authors equally contributed to the manuscript
J. Troisi* , S. Symes, S. Richards. 2018. Placental tissue metabolome analysis by GC-MS: Oven-drying is a viable sample preparation method. Preparative
Biochemistry & Biotechnology. (In Press)
Mikelson C*. , J. Troisi , Symes S., Gao, L., DiRe, L.M., Adair D. , Miller, R.K.,
Richards, S. 2018. Elemental analysis of human placenta and its relationship with infant health parameters in Hamilton County, TN. Environmental Research (In Press).
C Mikelson*, MJ Kovach, J Troisi, S Symes D Adair, RK Miller, C Salafia, K Johnson, Z Lin. S. Richards. 2015. Placental 11β-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase
Type 2 Expression: Correlations with Birth Weight and Placental Metal Concentrations. Placenta. 36(11):1212-7
D. Wolfe*; M. Schorr; M. Hanson; C. H. Nelson; S. M. Richards. 2015. Hazard assessment for a pharmaceutical mixture detected in the upper Tennessee River using
Daphnia magna. Global Journal of Environmental Science Management. 1 (1): 1-14, Winter 2015. ISSN 2383 - 3572
J. Troisi*, C. Mikelson*, S. Richards, S. Symes, D. Adair , F. Zullo, M. Guida. 2014. Placental concentrations of bisphenol A and birth weight from births in the
Southeastern U.S. Placenta. Vol. 35 (11) 2014. 947–952.
Schorr MS, Dyson* MC, Nelson CH, Van Horn GS, Collins DE, Richards SM. 2013. Effects of stream acidification on lotic salamander assemblages in a coal-mined
watershed in the Cumberland Plateau. Journal of Freshwater Ecology Vol. 28, No. 3, 339-353
E. Hussar*, S. Richards, ZQ Lin, R.P. Dixon , and K. A. Johnson. 2012. Human Health Risk Assessment of 16 Priority Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Soils of
Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution. 223, 9:5535-5548 S. Richards, D. Ford, and K. Adsit. 2012. Integrating Inquiry-Based Field Investigations
into an Environmental Science Curriculum. Journal of Tennessee Academy of Sciences 87, (2) 105-115
R. Red*, S. Richards, C. Torres, C. Adair. 2011. Environmental Exposures and Pregnancy Emergencies. Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey. 2011 Mar;66(3):159-69.
P. Tithof, S. Richards, Elgayyar MA, Menn FM, Vulava VM, McKay L, Sanseverino J, Sayler G, Tucker DE, Leslie CC, Lu KP, Ramos KS. 2010. Activation of group
IVC phospholipase A(2) by polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons induces apoptosis of human coronary artery endothelial cells. Archives of Toxicology. 2010 Dec 4.
J. Conley*, S. Symes, M. Schorr, M. Hanson, S. Richards. 2009. Is ambient chitobiase activity a monitoring tool for impacts on secondary productivity in lotic
systems? Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences (66:1274-1281). S. Moss*, J. Keller, S. Richards, T. Wilson. 2009. Levels of persistent organic
pollutants in plasma from a riverine turtle assemblage from the Tennessee River Gorge. Chemosphere, (76:194-204).
J. Conley*, S. Symes, M. Schorr, M. Hanson, S. Richards. 2008. Spatial And Temporal Analysis Of Pharmaceutical Concentrations In The Upper Tennessee River
Basin. 2008. Chemosphere. 73:1178-1187.
J. Conley*, S. Symes, S. Kindelburger*, S. Richards. 2008. Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry Method For The Determination
Of A Broad Mixture Of Pharmaceuticals In Surface Water. 2008. Journal of Chromatography A. 1185. 206-215.
S. Richards, K. Eckert, J. Stephens, T. Rainwater. 2008. An Observation of Aberrant Behavior in a raccoon (Procyon lotor) infected with canine distemper virus. Southeastern Naturalist. Issue 7/3:556-558.
S. Richards, S. Kelly*, and M. Hanson. 2008. Zooplankton chitobiase activity as an endpoint of pharmaceutical effect. Archives of Environmental Contamination and
S. Richards and S. Cole*. 2006. Developmental Toxicity of Thirteen Pharmaceuticals to Xenopus Laevis. Ecotoxicology, 15:647-656.
R. Brain*, D. Johnson*, S. Richards, M. Hanson, H. Sanderson, P. Sibley, K. Solomon. 2004. Effects of 25 Pharmaceutical Compounds to Lemna gibba Using a Seven-Day
Static-Renewal Test. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 23:371-382.
S. Richards, C. Wilson*, D. Johnson*, D. Castle, S. Mabury, S. Lam*, P. Sibley, and K. Solomon. 2004 Effects of Pharmaceuticals on Aquatic Ecosystems. Environmental
Toxicology and Chemistry. 23:1035-1042.
M. Lam, C. Young, R. Brain, D. Johnson, M. Hanson, C. Wilson, S. Richards, K. Solomon, S. Mabury. 2004. The aquatic persistence of eight pharmaceuticals in outdoor
microcosms monitored by HPLC-UV and LC-MS-MS using electrospray ionization. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 23: 1431-1440.
R. Brain*, D. Johnson*, S. Richards, M. Hanson, H. Sanderson, P. Sibley, K. Solomon. 2004. Microcosm Evaluation of the Effects of an Eight Pharmaceutical Mixture to the
Macrophytes Lemna gibba and Myriophyllum sibiricum exposed in Aquatic Microcosms. Aquatic Toxicology 70:23-40.
B. Brooks, C. Foran, S. Richards, J. Weston, P. Turner, J. Stanley, K. Solomon, M. Slattery, and T. La Point. 2003. Aquatic Ecotoxicology of Fluoxetine. Toxicology Letters. 142:169-183.
S. Richards, and R. Kendall. 2003. Physical Effects of Chlorpyrifos on Two Developmental Stages of Xenopus Laevis. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health 66: 75-91.
S. Richards and R. Kendall. 2002. Behavioral Effects of Chlorpyrifos on Two Developmental Stages of Xenopus Laevis. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 21:
S. Richards, J. Gandy, J. Mattice, and T. Lavy. 2001. Airborne Concentrations of Propanil Within Residences of Families Living Adjacent to Aerially Sprayed Rice Fields.
Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 41:112-116.
S. Richards, T. Anderson, M. Hooper, S. McMurry, S. Wall, H. Awata, M. Mayes and R. Kendall. 2000. European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) Response to Chlorpyrifos
Exposure in a Corn Agroecosystem. Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry 75: 215-234.
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
1. J. Conley* and S. Richards. 2013. Environmental Teratogenesis. In (ed) J.F. Férard and C. Blaise, Encyclopedia of Aquatic Ecotoxicology. Invited Submission.
Publisher: Springer, New York, New York.
2. C. Mickelson* and S. Richards. 2011. Zoonotic and Animal Vector Mediated Encephalitides. In (ed) Sergey Tkachev, Non-flavivirus Encephalitis. Invited Submission. Publisher: InTech, Rijeka, Croatia. ISBN 979-953-307-178-6.
3. J. Leet* and S. Richards. 2009. Genetic Ecotoxicology. In (ed) F. Columbus, Ecotoxicology Research Developments. Invited Submission. Publisher: Nova Publishing, Hauppauge, NY (pp 61-88).
4. J. Conley* and S. Richards. 2008. Ecotoxicology: Teratogenesis. In (ed) B. Ronan, Encyclopedia of Ecology. Invited Submission. Publisher: Elsevier, Oxford, UK. Pp
5. B. Brooks, C. Foran, S. Richards, J. Weston, R. Brain, P. Turner, J. Stanley, K. Solomon, M. Slattery, and T. La Point. 2005. Aquatic Ecotoxicology of Fluoxetine: A
review of recent research. In: Hot spot pollutants; Pharmaceuticals in the Environment. Publisher: John Hopkins University; Department of Pharmacology, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.
6. Solomon KR, Brock TCM, de Zwart D, Dyer SD, Posthuma L, Richards SM, Sanderson H, Sibley PK, Van den Brink PJ (Editors). 2008. Pensacola, FL, USA: SETAC Press. 380pp.
7. Solomon KR, Brock TCM, de Zwart D, Dyer SD, Posthuma L, Richards SM, Sanderson H, Sibley PK, Van den Brink PJ. 2008. Chapter 1: Extrapolation in the Context of Criteria Setting and Risk Assessment. In: Solomon KR, Brock TCM, de Zwart D, Dyer SD, Posthuma L, Richards SM, Sanderson H, Sibley PK, Van den Brink PJ, eds. EXPECT: Extrapolation Practice for Ecotoxicological Effect Characterization of Chemicals. Pensacola, FL, USA: SETAC Press. 380pp.
8. Posthuma L, Richards SM, de Zwart D, Dyer SD, Sibley PK, Hickey C, Altenberger R. 2008. Chapter 5: Mixture Extrapolation Approaches. In: Solomon
KR, Brock TCM, de Zwart D, Dyer SD, Posthuma L, Richards SM, Sanderson H, Sibley PK, Van den Brink PJ, eds. EXPECT: Extrapolation Practice for
Ecotoxicological Effect Characterization of Chemicals. Pensacola, FL, USA: SETAC Press. 380pp.
9. Solomon KR, Brock TCM, de Zwart D, Dyer SD, Posthuma L, Richards SM, Sanderson H, Sibley PK, Van den Brink PJ. 2008. Chapter 8: Conclusions. In: Solomon KR, Brock TCM, de Zwart D, Dyer SD, Posthuma L, Richards SM, Sanderson H, Sibley PK, Van den Brink PJ, eds. EXPECT: Extrapolation Practice for Ecotoxicological Effect Characterization of Chemicals. Pensacola, FL, USA: SETAC Press. 380pp.
10. S. Richards, T. Anderson, S. Wall, and R. Kendall. 2000. Exposure Assessment of Rana Catesbeiana Collected from a Chlorpyrifos Treated Cornfield. Invited Submission In: (ed) J.J. Johnston, Pesticides and Wildlife. American Chemical Society, Clarendon Hills, IL.