Sharad Purohit, PhD
Augusta Ga 30912
Dr. Purohit joined the Obstetrics and Gynecology faculty in 2016. Dr. Purohit received his Bachelor and Master of Science degrees in Biochemistry in 1992 and 1994 respectively from India. He obtained his PhD degree at the Devi Ahilya University, Indore, India for Life Sciences in 2000, studying the membrane lipid and protein perturbation in oligospermia. Dr. Purohit attended his first Post Doc training at the University of Montreal, in 2000. He then joined Dr. Jin-Xiong She’s lab at University of Florida and studied DNA binding domains of AIRE in 2001. Dr. Purohit moved to Augusta, Georgia in 2002, with Dr. She’s Team.
His research focuses on identifying predictive and prognostic biomarkers for human diseases using high throughput technologies of Mass spectrometry and Luminex bead array. He found several protein candidate markers which are risk factors for Type-1 diabetes and cervical cancer. He also continues to develop assays to improve the potential of existing biomarkers based on the post-translational modification.
Glycomics, proteomics, biomarkers, autoimmune diseases, cancer.
2011-2014 Career Development Award, JDRF, New York, USA.
2009-2010 Faculty Transition Award, JDRF, New York, USA.
2008 Listed in Madison’s Who’s Who.
2006-2009 Advanced Post-doctoral Fellowship, JDRF, New York, USA.
2004-2006 Post-doctoral Fellowship, JDRF New York, USA.
2000 Extended Senior Research Fellowship, CSIR. New Delhi, India.
1996 Senior Research Fellowship, CSIR&UGC. New Delhi, India.
1994 Junior Research Fellowship & National Eligibility Test for Lectureship CSIR&UGC. New Delhi, India.
1994 GATE 94, IIT, Bombay, India.
1992 ICAR Junior Research Fellowship, ICAR. New Delhi, India.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Scientific and Professional memberships
2006-Present American Chemical Society (Member)
2004-Present New York Academy of Sciences (Member)
2004-2006 Proteome Society (Member)
2002-2003 American Association for the Advancement of Science (Member)
1996-Present Asian Society of Andrology (Life Member)
1994-2000 Society of Biological Chemists (Member)
1. Purohit SB, Laloraya M, Kumar GP. Role of ions and ion channels in capacitation and acrosome reaction of spermatozoa. Asian J Androl. 1999: 1(3):95-107.
2. Collins CD, Purohit S, Podolsky RH, Zhao HS, Schatz D, Eckenrode SE, Yang P, Hopkins D, Muir A, Hoffman M, McIndoe RA, Rewers M, She JX. The application of genomic and proteomic technologies in predictive, preventive and personalized medicine. Vascul Pharmacol. 2006: 45(5):258-67.
3. Purohit S and She J-X. Risk factors for type-1 diabetes. Intl. J. Clin. Exptal. Med. 2008: 1(2) 98-116.
4. Zhi W, Purohit S, Carey C, Wang M and She J-X (2010) Proteomic technologies for the discovery of type 1 diabetes. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol.4:993-1003.
5. Carey C, Purohit S, Jin Y, Zhi W, Wang M and She J-X (2010) Advances and Challenges in biomarker discovery for Type-1 diabetes. Expert Opin. Med. Diag. 2010 Sep 1;4(5):397-410.
6. Purohit S, Sharma A and She J-X (2014) Luminex and other multiplex high throughput technologies for the identification of, and host response to, environmental triggers of type-1 diabetes. BioMed. Res. Intl. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/326918
Research Publications in Peer-reviewed journals:
1. Chatterjee S, Purohit SB, Laloraya M, Kumar P. Vasectomy-induced superoxide dismutase inactivation in the male reproductive tract of rat: a prerequisite for spermatic granuloma formation. Urol Int. 1997:59(1):23-5.
2. Purohit SB, Laloraya M, Kumar GP. Acrosome reaction inducers impose alterations in repulsive strain and hydration barrier in human sperm membranes. Biochem Mol Biol Int. 1998: 45(2):227-35.
3. Purohit SB, Laloraya M, Kumar PG. Bicarbonate-dependent lipid ordering and protein aggregation are part of the nongenomic action of progesterone on capacitated spermatozoa. J Androl. 1998: 19(5):608-18.
4. Agnihotri S, Purohit SB, Laloraya M, Kumar GP. Regional heterogeneity in intracellular distribution of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide within the sperm and its relation to sperm development. Arch Androl. 1999: 43(2):113-21.
5. Purohit SB, Saxena D, Laloraya M, Kumar G P. Altered molecular dynamics and antioxidant status in the spermatozoa in testosterone-induced oligospermia in mouse. Mol Reprod Dev. 2000:55(3):316-25.
6. Saxena D, Purohit SB, Kumar GP, Laloraya M. Increased appearance of inducible nitric oxide synthase in the uterus and embryo at implantation. Nitric Oxide. 2000:4(4):384-91.
7. Purohit S, Brahmaraju M, Palta A, Shukla S, Laloraya M, Kumar PG. Impaired E-cadherin expression in human spermatozoa in a male factor infertility subset signifies E-cadherin-mediated adhesion mechanisms operative in sperm-oolemma interactions. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004: 9;316(3):903-9.
8. Davoodi-Semiromi A, Laloraya M, Kumar GP, Purohit S, Jha RK, She JX. A mutant Stat5b with weaker DNA binding affinity defines a key defective pathway in nonobese diabetic mice. J Biol Chem. 2004: 19;279(12):11553-61.
9. Wang CY, Yang P, Shi JD, Purohit S, Guo D, An H, Gu JG, Ling J, Dong Z, She JX. Molecular cloning and characterization of the mouse Acdp gene family. BMC Genomics. 2004: 5(1):7.
10. Guo D, Li M, Zhang Y, Yang P, Eckenrode S, Hopkins D, Zheng W, Purohit S, Podolsky RH, Muir A, Wang J, Dong Z, Brusko T, Atkinson M, Pozzilli P, Zeidler A, Raffel LJ, Jacob CO, Park Y, Serrano-Rios M, Larrad MT, Zhang Z, Garchon HJ, Bach JF, Rotter JI, She JX, Wang CY. A functional variant of SUMO4, a new I kappa B alpha modifier, is associated with type 1 diabetes. Nature Genetics. 2004: 36(8):837-41.
11. Purohit S, Kumar PG, Laloraya M, She JX. Mapping DNA-binding domains of the autoimmune regulator protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005:327(3):939-44.
12. Purohit S, Podolsky R, Collins C, Zheng W, Schatz D, Muir A, Hopkins D, Huang YH, She JX. Lack of correlation between the levels of soluble cytotoxic T-lymphocyte associated antigen-4 (CTLA-4) and the CT-60 genotypes. J Autoimmune Dis. 2005: 31;2:8.
13. Purohit S, Podolsky R, Schatz D, Muir A, Hopkins D, Huang YH, She JX. Assessing the utility of SELDI-TOF and model averaging for serum proteomic biomarker discovery. Proteomics. 2006: 6(24):6405-15.
14. Ruan QG, Tung K, Eisenman D, Setiady Y, Eckenrode S, Yi B, Purohit S, Zheng WP, Zhang Y, Peltonen L, She JX. The autoimmune regulator directly controls the expression of genes critical for thymic epithelial function. J Immunol. 2007: 178(11):7173-80.
15. Purohit S, Laloraya M, Kumar PG. Distribution of N- and O-linked oligosaccharides on surface of spermatozoa from normal and infertile subjects. Andrologia. 2008: 40(1):7-12.
16. Majumder S, Muley A, Kolluru GK, Saurabh S, Tamilsaran KP, Chandrasekhar S, Reddy HB, Ramanan SV, Purohit S and Chatterjee S. Cadmium reduces nitric oxide production by imparing phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Biochem. Cell Biol. 2008: 86:1-10.
17. Han J, Zhong J, Wei W, Wang Y, Huang Y, Yang P, Purohit S, Dong Z, Wang M-H, She JX, Gong F, Stern DM, and Wang C-Y Extracellular HMGB1 acts as an innate immune-mediator to enhance autoimmune progression and diabetes onset in NOD mice. Diabetes. 2008:57:2118-27.
18. Liu S, Wang H, Jin Y, Podolsky R, Pederson J, Bode B, Reed , Steed D, Anderson S, Yang P, Muir A, Steed L, Hopkins D, Huang Y, Purohit S, Steck AK, Eisenbarth G, Rewers M and She JX. The IFIH1 polymorphisms are Significantly Associated with Type 1 Diabetes and IFIH1 gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Hum. Mol. Genet. 200918:358-65.
19. Guan R, Purohit S, Wang H, Bode B, Reed JC, Steed RD, Anderson, SW, Steed L, Hopkins D, Xia C, SheJ-X. Chemokine (C-C motif) ligand 2 (CCL2) in sera of patients with type 1 diabetes and diabetic complications. PLoS One. 2011:6(4): e17822.
20. Zhi W, Sharma A, Purohit S, Miller E, Bode B, Anderson SW, Reed JC, Steed RD, Steed L, Hopkins D and She JX. Discovery and validation of serum protein changes in type 1 diabetes patients using high throughput two dimensional liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry and immunoassays. Mol. Cell Prot.2011: 10(11): M111.012203.
21. Lu S, Purohit S, Sharma A, Zhi W, He M, Wang Y, Li C-J, She J-X. Serum Insulin-like growth factor binding protein 6 (IGFBP6) is increased in patients with type 1 diabetes and its complications. Intl. J. Clin. Exptal. Med. 2012:5(3):229-37.
22. Jin Y, Purohit S, Chen X, Yi B and She J-X. Over-expression of Stat5b confers protection against diabetes in the non-obese diabetic (NOD) mice via up-regulation of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.2012: 424(4):669-74
23. Dun B, Sharma A, Teng Y, Liu H, Purohit S, Xu H, Zeng L and She J-X (2013) Mycophenolic acid inhibits the migration and invasion ability of gastric cancer cells via multiple molecular pathways. PLos One DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0081702.
24. Zhi W, Ferris D, Sharma A, Purohit S, Santos C, He M, Ghamande S and She J-X. Twleve serum protein progressively increase with disease stage in squamous cell cervical cancer patients. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2014 Jul; 24(6):1085-92.
25. Purohit S, Sharma A, Hopkins D, Steed L, Bode B, Anderson S, Reed JC, Steed RD, Schatz D, She J-X. (2015). Large scale discovery and validation studies demonstrate significant reductions in circulating levels of IL8, IL-1Ra, MCP-1 and MIP-1β in type-1 diabetes. J Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/JC.2015-1388
26. Sharma S, Purohit S, Sharma A, Hopkins D, Steed L, Bode BW, Anderson S, Caldwell R, and She J-X. Elevated serum levels of soluble TNF receptors and adhesion molecules are associated with diabetic retinopathy in patients with type-1 diabetes. Med. Inflamm. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/279393.
27. Sharma A, Purohit S, Sharma S, Bai S, Zhi W, Ponny SR, Hopkins D, Steed L, Bode B, Anderson SW and She J-X She. IGF-binding proteins in type 1 diabetes are more severely altered in the presence of complications. Frontiers Endocrinol. http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2016.00002
28. Zhi, W, Purohit S, Bai S, Sharma A and She J-X (2013) Protein degradation is likely responsible for the spurious differences in innate immunity proteins in type 1 diabetes. F1000 Research (In Press)
29. Miller LG Jr, Young JA, Ray SK, Wang G, Purohit S, Banik NL, Dasgupta S (2017) Sphingosine Toxicity in EAE and MS: Evidence for Ceramide Generation via Serine-Palmitoyltransferase Activation. Neurochem Res doi: 10.1007/s11064-017-2280-2
30. Purohit S, Li T, Guan W, Song X, Song J, Tian Y, Li L, Sharma A, Dun B, Mysona D, Ghamande S, Rungruang B, Cummings RD, Wang PG, and She J-X (2018) Luminex multiplex glycan array: a high throughput and high content platform for glycan binding proteins. Nat. Comm. 9: 258
31. Purohit S, Sharma A, Zhi W, Bai S, Hopkins D, Steed L, Bode B, Anderson SW, Reed JC, Steed RD and She J-X (2018) Proteins of TNF-α and IL6 Pathways Are Elevated in Serum of Type-1 Diabetes Patients with Microalbuminuria. Front. Immunol. 9:154. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.00154
32. Mysona DM, Tran L, Tran P, Purohit S, Pyrzak A, Zhi W, Sharma A, Bai S, Rungruang B, Ghamande S, and She J-X (2019) A Combined Score of Clinical Factors and Serum Proteins Can Predict Time to Recurrence in High Grade Serous Ovarian Cancer. Gyne Onc.
33. Giri B, Bradley E, Belanger K, Purohit S, Chong R, Morgan JC, Baban B, Wakade C (2019) Niacin Abrogates Inflammatory Cytokine Upregulation Through G-Protein Coupled Receptor GPR109A. J. NeuroSci. (Communicated)